Thread: reamer spec question

reamer spec question

am looking at this reamer below and have asked the same question to the buyer but am confused

its .222 Rem but appears to be marked as having a .250 neck

now this seems VERY tight
    should be .254 or more

could this spec be used as some kind of tight neck match chamber specification requiring neck turned brass?
    only leave 0.13" or 0.3mm neck thickness and clearance
    is that right!

Clymer 222 250 Neck Fin Spec Finisher Barrel Chamber Reamer | eBay

Call Clymer mfg directly they are located in the greater Detroit area, Michigan, USA as they are really on the ball.
    I went over to them once when I worked in the area.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    could this spec be used as some kind of tight neck match chamber specification requiring neck turned brass?
    only leave 0.13" or 0.3mm neck thickness and clearance
    is that right!

Clymer 222 250 Neck Fin Spec Finisher Barrel Chamber Reamer | eBay
    You got it in one mate BR shooters like tight or fitted neck chambers, seldom does overall neck clearance exceed .003", the guys using fitted necks use even less enabeling in some cases reloading to be carried out without any sizing, bullet tension relying on the spring nack of the brass to hold the bullet, this kind of level of handloading is not for the inexperienced, bullets must be matched to the neck tension available, anything a few tenths over will result in no clearence to allow the bullet to be released with catastrophic consequenceis.

Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 30-03-2015 at 15:08.

PT&G's standard 222 reamer is specced at 0.254". 0.250 needs a case-neck wall thickness of 0.011", 0.0115" at most, which might just be no-turn for some out of the box brass but more likely needs a light 'clean-up' turn.

awesome thank you
    just confirmed what I was reading

Sometimes the chamber is advertised as "Necked Turned". Meaning you cannot get standard cases into it consistently and will have to outside neck turn them to get them to chamber. Benchrest standard, I've had one rifle in a tight neck chamber and it worked well on the bench but I had to run a neck reamer in when I sold it.
    Reloading chamber only, not for hunting and general use. Dont touch it. Get a standard finishing reamer.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridfiat View Post
    Sometimes the chamber is advertised as "Necked Turned". Meaning you cannot get standard cases into it consistently and will have to outside neck turn them to get them to chamber. Benchrest standard, I've had one rifle in a tight neck chamber and it worked well on the bench but I had to run a neck reamer in when I sold it.
    Reloading chamber only, not for hunting and general use. Dont touch it. Get a standard finishing reamer.
    I agree with you to a certain degree hybridfiat but to say dont touch it is a bit harsh IMO, we dont know what bewsher intends to shoot with his project
    My varmint rifle is a 22BR Norma .253" neck and i neck turn formed lapua 6mmBR brass to give a loaded round neck diametre of .251"
    The tight neck together with the all the other accurising attributes of the rifle/ammo combination gives me the accuracy i require to connect with small targets at range.
    Interesting that you say that you had to run a neck reamer up it before you sold it, here on proving the barrel has to be stamped with the neck diametre to notify the user that standard neck cartridges should not be chambered.
    Is there a similar process in Australia?

Ian.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 31-03-2015 at 12:06.

The actual case capacity has not changed therefore the caliber for which it is licensed has not changed.
    The neck reamer was just to let it out a fraction and allow a wide variety of off the shelf loaded rounds to be chambered in it. It was a 6mmBR and a standard as bought and then loaded case would not chamber full stop. No I've not seen the proofing for neck sizes on any rifle here.
    The police are a bit slap happy with firearm rules and regs and enforce stuff if and when it suits them. I have a rifle that was originally a .35 Win and is now just a .35 W on the license. So it is a .35 Whelen isn't it . Much easier to load for.
    last year we all got letters to say the transfer of information to a new system have cocked up and was our license correct!?
    I should have said it was missing the .338 Lapua Mag and the .50 BMG.