Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: unproofed rifle

unproofed rifle

Hi all some time ago I had my .222 screw cut privately by a local guy I never worried about getting it reproofed, I am now thinking of selling it but wondering if I can as it was not reproofed.

My understanding was its ok to get your own cut and threaded etc but needed to be proofed to sell on.

Just out of curiosity, how would anyone know ?

Been argued on here before....
    if I remember right the conclusion was that it is not necessary to get a rifle re-proofed after a threading job....

interestig link below

Reflex Suppressors UK Proof info
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 30-03-2015 at 17:11.

there's no requirement for proofing a threaded barrel for moderator at all, fact. For some peculiar reason some shops insist on it, but, the proofhouse does not.

The proof of proof () on threading is the proof mark stamped on the barrel at the threading, usually at the six o'clock position.

I believe that most reputable gunsmiths require re-proofing as part of their public liability insurance.

It's all a bit grey really but that's British law for you?!?!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    there's no requirement for proofing a threaded barrel for moderator at all, fact. For some peculiar reason some shops insist on it, but, the proofhouse does not.
    Thanks for your information, I just need to find someone who wants to buy now!!

I have four rifles, all screw cut, two by the manufacturer and two by my friend.
    None have proof marks anywhere near the threading and nothing identifies which threading is done by whom.
    Work that one out

exaxtly!

have numerous 2nd hand rifles not factory cut god knows by whom
    not one proofed

As far as I can see smiths get things proofed to cover them in the event of an issue later on
    not because they are required to

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have four rifles, all screw cut, two by the manufacturer and two by my friend.
    None have proof marks anywhere near the threading and nothing identifies which threading is done by whom.
    Work that one out
    I have two factory threaded no proof marks