Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22.250 bullets

22.250 bullets

Firstly I've already put on my flack jacket and helmet! I'm relatively new to reloading and about to load my second batch for my Sako75 which is only used on foxes and other vermin.
    I'm using H380, Norma brass and CCI primers. The first batch i used 50 grn Hornady V-max and the rifle prefered 39grns of powder.
    With this combo I'm shooting 3/4 to 1 inch groups, at 150 yds which none of the foxes complained about! (although I'm sure the rifle is far more accurate than I am)! Prior to reloading I was using 55grn Federal factory ammo which didn't perform too well. My question is should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.
    Any experienced replies will be greatfully received.
    Many thanks in advance
    Leej

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by leej View Post
    Firstly I've already put on my flack jacket and helmet! I'm relatively new to reloading and about to load my second batch for my Sako75 which is only used on foxes and other vermin.
    I'm using H380, Norma brass and CCI primers. The first batch i used 50 grn Hornady V-max and the rifle prefered 39grns of powder.
    With this combo I'm shooting 3/4 to 1 inch groups, at 150 yds which none of the foxes complained about! (although I'm sure the rifle is far more accurate than I am)! Prior to reloading I was using 55grn Federal factory ammo which didn't perform too well. My question is should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.
    Any experienced replies will be greatfully received.
    Many thanks in advance
    Leej
    If it ain't broke....... 5gr isn't going to make much difference
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

No harm in trying the 55 V Max. I use the 55gr Blitzkings to good effect

..................should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.

Many thanks in advance
    Leej
    Hi lee, if you are a shooter stick with the 50s, if you are a reloader and the temptation to play is niggling at you try the 55 grn V-max and the 55 Blitzking, the 52 A-max, 55 berger............etc....etc.....

ian.

Thanks Eric the Red, I just wondered how much the extra difference the 5grns would give me on those windy nights?

Thankyou too Ian. In truth I'm a shooter not a reloader, but knowledge is priceless so I thought I'd just throw it out there and listen to those who know more than me!
    It's refreshing to get reply's that are positive rather than some telling what an idiot I am for not doing this or that...
    Thanks again

Likewise Dorsettaff!

Just out of interest, do any of you guys use H380? Or would you recommend a different powder for a 22-250?
    If so please tell me why. Again I'm just asking those with more experience than me to educate me a little

Just out of interest, do any of you guys use H380? Or would you recommend a different powder for a 22-250?
    If so please tell me why. Again I'm just asking those with more experience than me to educate me a little
    Yes i have, its the classic powder for the 22-250, 38grns under a 52grn bullet is the classic load.
    H380 was originally a ball powder manufactured by the Olin corporation for full power 30-06 loads when Bruce Hodgedon found it.
    Experimentation resulted in one hole groups from his then .22 Varminter rifle (now called the 22-250) with 38grns doing the business hence the designation H380.

Ian.

Topman Ian, thankyou very much! It's people like you that make this site what it is.