22.250 bullets

leej

Firstly I've already put on my flack jacket and helmet! I'm relatively new to reloading and about to load my second batch for my Sako75 which is only used on foxes and other vermin.
I'm using H380, Norma brass and CCI primers. The first batch i used 50 grn Hornady V-max and the rifle prefered 39grns of powder.
With this combo I'm shooting 3/4 to 1 inch groups, at 150 yds which none of the foxes complained about! (although I'm sure the rifle is far more accurate than I am)! Prior to reloading I was using 55grn Federal factory ammo which didn't perform too well. My question is should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.
Any experienced replies will be greatfully received.
Many thanks in advance
Leej

Firstly I've already put on my flack jacket and helmet! I'm relatively new to reloading and about to load my second batch for my Sako75 which is only used on foxes and other vermin.
I'm using H380, Norma brass and CCI primers. The first batch i used 50 grn Hornady V-max and the rifle prefered 39grns of powder.
With this combo I'm shooting 3/4 to 1 inch groups, at 150 yds which none of the foxes complained about! (although I'm sure the rifle is far more accurate than I am)! Prior to reloading I was using 55grn Federal factory ammo which didn't perform too well. My question is should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.
Any experienced replies will be greatfully received.
Many thanks in advance
Leej

If it ain't broke....... 5gr isn't going to make much difference

..................should I stick to the 50's or try out the 55 grn V-Max's.

Many thanks in advance
Leej

Hi lee, if you are a shooter stick with the 50s, if you are a reloader and the temptation to play is niggling at you try the 55 grn V-max and the 55 Blitzking, the 52 A-max, 55 berger............etc....etc.....
:D
ian.

Thanks Eric the Red, I just wondered how much the extra difference the 5grns would give me on those windy nights?

Thankyou too Ian. In truth I'm a shooter not a reloader, but knowledge is priceless so I thought I'd just throw it out there and listen to those who know more than me!
It's refreshing to get reply's that are positive rather than some telling what an idiot I am for not doing this or that...
Thanks again:thumb:

Just out of interest, do any of you guys use H380? Or would you recommend a different powder for a 22-250?
If so please tell me why. Again I'm just asking those with more experience than me to educate me a little:tiphat:

Just out of interest, do any of you guys use H380? Or would you recommend a different powder for a 22-250?
If so please tell me why. Again I'm just asking those with more experience than me to educate me a little:tiphat:

Yes i have, its the classic powder for the 22-250, 38grns under a 52grn bullet is the classic load.
H380 was originally a ball powder manufactured by the Olin corporation for full power 30-06 loads when Bruce Hodgedon found it.
Experimentation resulted in one hole groups from his then .22 Varminter rifle (now called the 22-250) with 38grns doing the business hence the designation H380.

Ian.

Leej,
There are lots of threads on the.22-250
i use 35.5 gr of Varget under a 55gr Blitzking in a 1:14 twist 22" barrel.
H380 is an excellent powder as well
DT

Last edited:
Leej,

As DT mentioned there are plenty of threads for .22-250 loads but most are on US websites.

I use 52gr A-Max over 39.5gr of CFE 223 in a 1:14 twist 23.5" barrel. NOTE that this is over book max and if you were to use this powder/bullet combo start with 36grs of powder and work up.

Best,

J

55gr Sierra varminters work well also at a noticeably cheaper price while 52gr BTHP bought 500 at a time are even better value. Again with H380.

My Tikka T3 lite wont stabilise 55grainners yet 50grainners often go in the same hole, using 36grs of Varget and 50gr Vmax..

50 grain blizkings in my old rpa with varget. or imr 4007ssc use to shoot tiny groups. i never bothered with the 55's have you tried different seating depts to close the groups up

Last edited:
Thanks again guys. Ended up buying the 50grn v-max's again as I've got a known load, was getting short of ammo and with it being lambing time I've got quite a lot of work to do!
I'm running them through a s/s Sako 75 standard sporter profile barrel with a length of 21 1/4' I dont have the twist-rate to hand sorry. Does anyone think it's actually worth me trying 55grainers? I'm simply thinking about those windy nights again.

Thanks again guys. Ended up buying the 50grn v-max's again as I've got a known load, was getting short of ammo and with it being lambing time I've got quite a lot of work to do!
I'm running them through a s/s Sako 75 standard sporter profile barrel with a length of 21 1/4' I dont have the twist-rate to hand sorry. Does anyone think it's actually worth me trying 55grainers? I'm simply thinking about those windy nights again.

5gr will not give any discernible benefit you against the wind. I've found 50gr work very well, even in strong winds - you just need to know your holdovers.

Thanks E-t-r, thaught I'd sort of answered my own question. To be honest I'm happy enough with the results I'm getting now, and I'm also a believer in if it aint broke....:cool:

Nothing wrong with V-MAX. Before switching to another bullet, try adjusting your bullet seating depth as this can make a big difference.

Load three sets of, say, 20 rounds each. 20 rounds with your present setting, 20 rounds with the bullets 0.010" further out, and 20 rounds 0.020" further out. As you prepare each set, test whether your bullets are contacting the lands - using an unprimed, empty case with a bullet seated to the desired depth. You can do this by using a Staedtler "Permanent CD/DVD" pen (part no. 310 CDS-9) to mark the bullet. This puts a microscopic layer on the bullet. Do not use a felt tip marker such as a Sharpie because they lay down a layer as thick as paint. Provided you bullets are not actually touching the lands, things will be fine. When testing these loads, thoroughly clean the barrel and then wipe dry. Shoot groups of five and allow the barrel a full minute between shots. Having fired the first 20 rounds, thorougly clean the barrel again. When you get home, you should take each set of four targets (4 x 5 rounds) for each ammo set, and using a blank target, mark the 20 shots onto the blank target. This way, you have the four targets to record you five round groups, and the compositte target shows the load's true capabilities.

-JMS

Thank you JMS, you've really got me thinking now!
I only consider myself a very amateur reloader, but now I think I'm falling under a very dark spell......:-|
Whichever angle I look at it from, it means more shooting and more shooting is more fun! Etc, etc, etc

Back