First Stalked Deer

Hi all,

Have had a busy week so far - did my DSC 1 Tues and Weds (luckily passed!). This morning was picked up at 0515 to have a go at my first Roe buck. 20 minutes later we spot a group of 4 Roe with a buck present(when I say we I mean Tom, my guide, pinged the deer first!). We managed to move quietly down to a fenceline just before a water filled ditch and set up the sticks. Last time I had a deer in my sights I made an a**e of the shot(as KevinF will attest to) and completely missed. Have had a bit of tuition since and everything came together. Found my aiming point, squeezed the trigger, heard the strike and watched the buck run about 15 metres before he keeled over. Looked at my watch and it was 0620. We went up and checked the buck after a short wait and found him stone dead. Tom supervised me through the gralloch and i did all my checks as per the DSC.

I've now removed the top of the bucks skull and cleaned it all off - not a trophy but brilliant for me nonetheless. Great way to start the day!

All the best

Si

Well done Si,
good to see you get your first buck and I would suspect that it will be one of the first this season not that it matters,

smithy

Well done Si, you have to be in the running for the earliest buck of the season, and it is one that you will never forget.

John

Good Effort Si!

Great that you had the opportunity to 'grass' a deer so swiftly. As has been said, you will remember this one for the rest of your life!

Rgds

Ian & Jo

Well done Si,

All that p%^s taking paid off, position and hold was firm enough this time:lol:

Well worth the wait and no doubt the smile is still as wide as ever.

Good luck for the rest of the season

BJS

Congratulations Si, you will remember it forever. I guess it was proximity to the water filled ditch that made all the difference. If you had actually been in it, it would have been just like home! :)

As for the DSC 1, I suspect it wasn't luck - more likely that you knew the answers and could shoot to the required standard - well done.

Bandit would probably remember his first buck except memory is not what it used to be:lol:

Si, your memory was a water filled ditch his was the back of a landrover with the coffe brewing in the background;)

Well done Si. I am very happy for you. Shall raise a glass this evening to your continued success.

Well done Si.. ;)

Hope the other half recognises the significance of this and is understanding when you want to put your pride and joy up above the telly..:lol::lol:

Fully hooked now! Need to get my deer goggles on though, still not pinging them. Hopefully come with time & experience.

Back