Thread: Case trimming and deburring

Established Poster
    Southern Burgundy, France and the UK a few times per year

Case trimming and deburring

Hey folks. I recently put my case trimmer into use for the first time. It's a Hornady model - trimming by hand.

I successfully trimmed each case to the required length but I was unhappy with the exterior burr. I proceeded to remove the burr with my RCBS tool but I don't think it's doing a great job - the angle on the deburr removal tool is too acute in my opinion. It made me think that maybe I put too much excessive forward pressure on the handle whilst trimming?

If they all (and they do) several hundred 223 Remington cases, need de-burred by hand then it will be a double ball-ache.

When I trimmed I did a final back turn on the trimmer thinking that would de-burr.

What have you found when trimming? I'm also wondering whether I should be looking at the Forster trimmer and the 3-in-1 mouth case cutter - calibre?

Thanks, in advance.

Mark

If it's the RCBS dual ended tool for chamfering and deburring the angles are pretty acute (60deg I think) which is perfectly OK

The trimmer should only trim to the preset length no matter how much you press on the handle, the adjustable stop does just that, stops it at a set length.

I use either the basic Lee hand held trimmer or a CTS case trimmer, both using a hand-held electric drill and both give clean necks after trimming.

Last edited by phaedra; 31-03-2015 at 15:47.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Yes hard not to like this. I can even sit outside on a nice day and do them. I guess this will be going on my 'buy whilst in the USA' unless someone is selling it in the UK and at fair price.......

Thanks for that...............

I use a forster 3:1 carbide cutter, really like it and does a far superior job to the lee set up i used to use. Its also a heap quicker

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I use a forster 3:1 carbide cutter, really like it and does a far superior job to the lee set up i used to use. Its also a heap quicker
    Well I think it will be the Forster 3n1 or the Giraud. Probably the Giraud as I don't want to buy another trimmer base. It's only the 223 that I need to do lots of.

So it seems that everyone who uses a non 3:1 system have burrs to deal with? I thought that I was pushing too hard whilst trimming causing the case trimming to be pushed up the case and giving a bigger burr.

Quote Originally Posted by tramblygoat View Post
    Yes hard not to like this. I can even sit outside on a nice day and do them. I guess this will be going on my 'buy whilst in the USA' unless someone is selling it in the UK and at fair price.......

Thanks for that...............
    Check it can do your preferred calibre/s as I believe there aren't too many case adaptors available.

K

Quote Originally Posted by tramblygoat View Post
    I thought that I was pushing too hard whilst trimming causing the case trimming to be pushed up the case and giving a bigger burr.
    It has to be pushed up to give an even cut, unless it's loose horizontally, damaged or remarkably blunt it should be leaving a fairly decent flat top surface on the case mouth that only needs to be chamfered and deburred.

Just for interest, SPUD1967 now sells the Little Crow Gunworks WFT2, it has interchangeable holders for different calibre cases.

LITTLE CROW GUNWORKS WFT 2 TRIMMER | 1967spud Reloading Supplies
    Last edited by phaedra; 31-03-2015 at 17:15.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Trim after each firing and the burr won't be as heavy.~Muir