22RF Ammo not what it says on the tin

Brno2e

Picked up another Brno 2-E 22 at the weekend and went to zero it Sunday. I only use Winchester Subs so took a box from an old brick then opened a new one and took a couple more.

After a few rounds it was hitting the spot and i started plinking going through the first box of Wins Subs fast. I opened the second and loaded a mag and fired but the poi had moved, also a waxy smell on the discharge, same all through the mag. My mate who was with me loaded the next mag and commented the rounds had a brighter case and the bullet heads looked darker and different. When he pulled a round out the case had an E stamped in the middle.

Looking at the rounds in the box they were all the same, looked Eley and smelt Eley but how did they get in a Winchester box ? Do Winchester load for Eley, both bricks lookd fine as did the individual cartons. They are both the older light blue outers.

any ideas ?

they sound like eleys ,(very waxy)darker brighter case plus the big E ,sorry not a clue on who loads what both boxes ie light blue and the new black ones still say made in australia

Last edited:
"Do Winchester load for Eley, both bricks lookd fine as did the individual cartons. They are both the older light blue outers."

AFAIK Eley do not have any "understanding" with Winchester although they do with Remington as in Remington Eley 22lr match and have never seen any Win subs with other than Winchester markings.I regret the passing of the Blue box Wins as batch control has,in my opinion,been much poorer with the later black box batches.Obviously if you have blue box Wins they have been doing the rounds for some time and the most likely explanation is someone has swopped them for unknown reasons.Did you obtain them from a shop?

Bought from a shop that i have bought lots of ammunition from without a problem, have looked at all my remaining boxes and all are Wins. Fully agree the lighter boxes shoot more consistant than the darker ones too.

Back