Steyr pro hunter bedding screw

carper99

Just taken delivery of a boyds stock for my pro hunter. Only slight problem is they left out the replacement rear bedding screw which should have been included with the stock. The factory screw is too short and doesn't reach the threading in the action. Does anyone know where I could get a bedding screw to save waiting for a new one from the states? Boyds are not notorious for customer service or replying to emails in any great hurry.

if someone has a boyds stock on their pro hunter if you could get the dimensions of the screw that would be a big help.

Last edited:
Just thinking about doing this, is removing the action and fitting a new stock something that joe public can do easily or is it best left to an expert?

Removing the action is a piece of cake as for fitting a new stock no probs I did a like for like all but with a different barrel channel a boyds may want a fettle ! ,the bedding screw is only a Allen headed screw a good engineering firm should hold them in stock .id like to try a boyds please let us know what you think when you're sorted and shot some paper .
regards
norma

Removing the action is a piece of cake as for fitting a new stock no probs I did a like for like all but with a different barrel channel a boyds may want a fettle ! ,the bedding screw is only a Allen headed screw a good engineering firm should hold them in stock .id like to try a boyds please let us know what you think when you're sorted and shot some paper .
regards
norma

yes I would be interested how it performs,would like to change stock on my pro hunter also

I had this very problem with my .222 when it was bedded into a boyds stock.
The original allen headed bolt was slightly too short. . . I simply ordered a flat headed bolt of the same dimensions, (but slightly longer) from the interweb and used the dremel to cut it to size. . With it being a flat head it sits flush with the stock and actually looks better than the original. . . Including postage it was around £3

You can buy manufacturers ones which are slightly longer for this purpose but they are a damn rip off.

Try your local fixings ( screw and bolt suppliers) stockist take the bolt in and they will sort you one out

Right, I have borrowed a bedding screw from another rifle until the new one turns up from boyds. I will do a quick review with photos when I get out and shoot it. Looks nice, but it did take a lot of fiddling to get it to fit right. The barrel channel had to be bored out and it was also interfering with the set trigger. Not just a drop in job by any means.

regards
norma

Me too. Feel free to post end result.
Iain

Does the recoil lug fit tight against the stock or will it need bedding?
Please do some pics when you get a chance, thanks.

Back