Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing velvet?

removing velvet?

I know not everyone shoots roe buck in velvet but I was eager to get out on the first day of the season and shot a lovely buck. I want to keep the head as a trophy, is it possible to remove the velvet and have a half decent, presentable head? Even one that could possibly be weighed? Cheers in advance

Yes it's possible, but the antler would need to be hard under it , you can colour the antler but don't do it until after its been measured , the antler will be white under the velvet and you will loose points for lack of colour.

For what its worth, I have tried with some rubbishy little heads in velvet and the antler tips were still soft on most of them. Ended up coming off and resulted in very rounded tips. Doesn't look great and wished I had just left them in the velvet. If the antler is hard though you can dye it with potassium permanganate. There is plenty on google and youtube about staining antlers with this.

Any pics of the head?

Most of the velvet will just peel off. If the coronets are touching though it can be a pain to get out of the pearling. Tweezers after the head's been boiled is the best way, I've found
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

can I leave the velvet on? and would it need treating in anything if so? sorry to hijack the thread just thought it would look different to have a mount still in velvet

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpy22 View Post
    can I leave the velvet on? and would it need treating in anything if so? sorry to hijack the thread just thought it would look different to have a mount still in velvet
    I've not tried it, but from the look of these links you can: How to preserve velvet | goHUNT and http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin...2607&tem=tips1

Not sure I want to be messing around with formaldehyde though, so probably a job better left for the taxidermist

I should add that I've had antlers in velvet that I've stored, and in all cases the untreated velvet has deteriorated, shed and ended up as just so much dust.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

My dad has a couple he has left in velvet and they still look ok. That was about 20 years ago that he shot the last one. As far as I know he didn't treat them with anything but I will ask and let you know if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    My dad has a couple he has left in velvet and they still look ok. That was about 20 years ago that he shot the last one. As far as I know he didn't treat them with anything but I will ask and let you know if he did.
    thanks mate a pic would be great
    Last edited by bumpy22; 09-04-2015 at 18:16.

I'm sorry but what I said above was total Bo**ocks!

Asked my dad this morning and he said he treated them with a chemical he got from the tanners (not sure which decade he got that). Apparently it is still in the shed, in an unlabelled jar of course, and is a yellow colour. I have a velvet head in my brothers shed which has been there for 2 years untreated. I'll look it out this afternoon and send you a pic of it so you can see if it has deteriorated much. I have the just shot pic also so will give you a good comparison.

In a similar position myself. Asked the same question as you at the CIC/ BASC stand at the Gamekeepers fair. Told it would look crap. Asked a taxidermist, sounds like it could be done if you have the skills, he mentioned finding the blood vessels, cutting and injecting with saltwater and using a chemical to preserve them. Too much faff for me, so as this was my first solo deer I am going to pay to have it done.