Deer and their surroundings

243 Stalker

I was on an internal flight up to Aberdeen and we had to make an unscheduled stop at Newcastle airport. As the aircraft made its way back out to the runway I spotted three roe deer just the other side of the security fence. As the aircraft went past the deer never even lifted their heads, which made me wonder what strange areas have you witnessed deer in?

ATB 243 Stalker.

Where I used to live there are Roe resident on some allotments almost next door to my old house. they also had a horse paddock, a couple of sports fields and a quarter mile of relict railway embankment. This little green oasis was completely surrounded by houses for quite some distance before hitting open country and the deer must have walked along the streets to find their way there.

Inside of security fence of petrol holding depot.
You can't go near the place with a cigarette let alone a boom stick, but I used to shoot 25m away from some tanks. Away from them obviously.
KABOOM

Inside a dog kennel after a thunder storm.

2x bucks dead after having fought to the death inside of a tennis court. With another prancing around outside.

Muntjac hiding inside a derelict shed as I was the only one stupid enough to be outside when it was pi$$ing it down.

Muntjac hiding inside of a trough turned on its side as I was the only one stupid enough to be outside when it was pi$$ing it down.

I am sure there are more

Last edited:
Uckfield high street about 11.30pm ..a fallow pricket just slowly trotting down the street , never batted an eye & seemed completly at ease ..

I was on an internal flight up to Aberdeen and we had to make an unscheduled stop at Newcastle airport. As the aircraft made its way back out to the runway I spotted three roe deer just the other side of the security fence. As the aircraft went past the deer never even lifted their heads, which made me wonder what strange areas have you witnessed deer in?

ATB 243 Stalker.

why strange, its a sanctuary for deer especialy roe, and hares, lots of airports act as nature reserves

I work in operations at edinburgh airport and see Roe most days the other side of the perimeter fence, I can drive past them 20 odd mts away they just lift there heads watch you then go back to browsing, different matter if I stop and get out the motor, there gone in seconds

The uni campus I work at backs onto a golf course that has a resident populationof 5 or so roe. When it gets very cold, the roe sneak into the campus and huddle under the big exhaust vents coming off the side of one of the main buildings.

Small graveyard I cycle past on the way to work has at least one resident roe - totally surrounded by houses on every side, with at least a mile to the nearest open ground.

In a similar vein, when I worked in Uganda, they built a new shopping centre pretty much in the city centre (again, it did back onto a golf course). The morning after they poured the concrete for the new multi-story car park, there was a beautiful line of absolutely unmistakable leopard pug marks crossing the wet concrete!

If you give them even a small amount of space and leave them alone, really quite large wildlife can happily exist in urban areas.

There are loads of similarly not bothered roe at Frankfurt airport and whilst working in Burundi a colleague showed me a photo of an antelope in her garden in the middle of the capital Bujumbura. Unfortunately you couldn't see from the photo what soecies it was, but what makes this unusual is that Burundi is very light on wildlife generally let alone in the city.

Unicorn,

I don't think the Muntjac in your photo has adapted so well to its new surroundings as those I witnessed at the airport.

ATB 243 Stalker

Red deer grazing contentedly at the side of a tank gunnery range in Hohne, Germany while it was in use. We even had to stop firing briefly while they trotted accross, oblivious to the amount of 30mm and 7.62 we were chucking down it.

Where to start?

Whitetail grazing on the tank/mobile artillery range during live fire at Ft. Knox.

Whitetail grazing on the small arms range at Ft. Knox during live fire.

whitetail grazing on a sporting clays course during a shoot (the big buck was just a bit far for 7 1/2 shot)

and it was standard operating procedure to make a low pass on jungle airstrips in South America to scare off any variety of creatures that found a long cleared strip of grass to be delectable. We once saw some small deer (guessing brocket deer) that would not spook. When the aircraft finally landed they scooted off just barely ahead of certain death.

Muntjac living in a shed :coat:Sorry I'll get my coat.

You're only surposed to get them like that with a Metro or a Smart Car - Everyone knows that with a big Rover like that it's overkill!:doh:

On a serious note, some of our residents have spotted roe deer occasionally on the lawn outside our flats very early in the morning which is right on the side of a farily busy main road. Unfortunately I have not seen them myself so I don't know if this is correct but I have seen them in the woods next to our flats so I do not doubt it!

Back