Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A day's rough shooting of any description for 3-4 guns within reach of Bristol

A day's rough shooting of any description for 3-4 guns within reach of Bristol

Good morning everyone!

Following last season's successful branching out from wildfowling (thanks in great part to Unicorn71), my friends and I are starting to look for some options for our 2015-16 shooting season. There are four of us, three based in London and one in Bristol, although it's quite possible that not all would be able to make it, depending on dates, due to family commitments etc. We have one date to be confirmed in the imaginary calendar, and it would be great to add to it one or two others. I thought that we could for once base ourselves in Bristol rather than London, and hopefully that would make us closer to the hallowed West Coast hideouts of the migratory woodcock. Not that you don't see them around here, but they do tend to like it closer to the Atlantic. We are of course prepared to throw some money at this, I don't expect a deluge of offers of free shooting.

We're not at all focused on the size of the bag, and we're not scared of tramping through miles of thorns or bog. What we're really after is an opportunity to earn a shot at some preferably wild game, ideally with a bit of unpredictable variety, a rabbit, a pigeon, the odd pheasant, the jackpot that is the woodcock, even perhaps a hare! We'd rather have one woodpigeon that we're proud of than ten fat reared pheasants that were driven over us.

A couple of people on the SD can vouch for us being a safe and pleasant bunch, and I hope to have the opportunity to demonstrate that to a couple more times next season.

Thanks very much indeed.
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 02-04-2015 at 11:08.

Any good leads yet Pine Marten?

Yes, I've had a couple of people contact me, one of which is looking particularly promising.

By the way, I wasn't able to make it down to your part of the world for Easter this year as our budget was taken up by going to my brother's wedding in the US at the end of this month. One of these days, I'll try and take you up on the offer that I had to can last year at the last minute because of YPM's requirements...

No probs mate, let me know when you're down this way

if you want the best rough shooting on the wildest game.The west of ireland is your only spot. il bring you out for a weekend on all game.free of charge also.you can fly from london to knock.As soon as your out of the Airport you will be hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by allan450 View Post
    if you want the best rough shooting on the wildest game.The west of ireland is your only spot. il bring you out for a weekend on all game.free of charge also.you can fly from london to knock.As soon as your out of the Airport you will be hunting.
    +1. Top class for woodcock

As pm mentioned he came to my estate last winter with his friends and it was the most enjoyable day we have had for ages, both pm and his friends are the most respectfull safe and courteous guns you will find ,they are welcome on my shoot anytime

Thanks Unicorn, that's a really nice thing to say. It was the most enjoyable day's shooting we'd ever had as a group too! We'll be back!
    "Wishy washy hand-wringing diversified all encompassing liberal"

If you feel like a trip up to Notts in the season, just let me know.
    All the best Trev.

Quote Originally Posted by trev View Post
    If you feel like a trip up to Notts in the season, just let me know.
    All the best Trev.
    Oh I think I may be persuaded, thanks! PM inbound.