Thread: New unfired brass cases on a flight to SA??

New unfired brass cases on a flight to SA??

Hi, I am off to SA at the end of April, all paper work for my rifle etc completed, just had a question from the brother of the guy I am travelling with: "Can you bring 200 NEW 22.250 cases as hard to get hold off out there"

Before I call the airline and try explain the difference between new unfired brass and live ammo has anybody had experience of this?? is it an issue??

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by NellyT View Post
    Hi, I am off to SA at the end of April, all paper work for my rifle etc completed, just had a question from the brother of the guy I am travelling with: "Can you bring 200 NEW 22.250 cases as hard to get hold off out there"

Before I call the airline and try explain the difference between new unfired brass and live ammo has anybody had experience of this?? is it an issue??

Cheers
    Just put them in your check in luggage, they are not ammunition.

Stan

Thanks Stan, that's my initial thought, I just wondered if there was some bizarre reason why it might be deemed a "component" or something?

Cheers

The chap to talk to is "Shakari" who is a member on here. What he doesn't know about this topic ain't worth knowing. Send him a PM, he doesn't often log on.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by NellyT View Post

Cheers
    Just remember this is Africa ......

My wife had a fired empty cartridge case in her hand luggage which had gone unnoticed through Windhoek but spotted when we landed at Jo'burg on our way back from Namibia a year or so ago .... we both had our passports taken and we were marched to the bowels of the airport to the police station where we spent a very uncomfortable hour or so whilst the three female police officers decided what they would do with us .... they wanted my rifle out of transit to be inspected etc etc .... a bloody miserable time.

The empty case of course presented no danger but did to the police and customs.

I appreciate that you are not talking about hand luggage but expect grief should you have your bags examined ...

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMoore View Post
    Just remember this is Africa ......

My wife had a fired empty cartridge case in her hand luggage which had gone unnoticed through Windhoek but spotted when we landed at Jo'burg on our way back from Namibia a year or so ago .... we both had our passports taken and we were marched to the bowels of the airport to the police station where we spent a very uncomfortable hour or so whilst the three female police officers decided what they would do with us .... they wanted my rifle out of transit to be inspected etc etc .... a bloody miserable time.

The empty case of course presented no danger but did to the police and customs.

I appreciate that you are not talking about hand luggage but expect grief should you have your bags examined ...

Tony
    I've had my Ammo case and Rifles go round the carousel in Jo'burg without problems (I was in the SAPS office two years ago and after a wait asked them to take me through to check).

It's the outbound from UK that "could be" an issue but it won't. Worst us that you get a call and they want to look but your luggage will be flagged. Many knives, binos and a bottle of expensive Whisky doesn't bat an eyelid at this end.

No issues inbound to SA on long haul from Europe.

Stan