Thread: Fallow numbers relationship with arable crop yield

Fallow numbers relationship with arable crop yield

An area I am less familiar with but need to research. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Research accessible on the web will be ideal.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    An area I am less familiar with but need to research. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Research accessible on the web will be ideal.
    A list of research can be found here: Reference Resources | The Deer Initiative

This is good, though a little dated: http://www.macaulay.ac.uk/deer/pdfs/...lmerreport.pdf

This is also useful: http://www.woodlandforlife.net/PDFs/...ary%5B1%5D.pdf - it points out the threshold deer density limit above which agricultural damage is likely to occur (0.437 fallow per km2)

Putman and Moore (1998) "Impact of deer in lowland Britain on agriculture, forestry and conservation habitats" is meant to be the definitive work - I'll see if I can find it anywhere. Only place I can find it is here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...8.00031.x/epdf , but it will cost $38

Looking at "Behaviour and Management of European Ungulates" (2014) it looks like this research was added to in 2011, as Reimoser and Putman published "Impact of Large Ungulates on agriculture, forestry and conservation habitats in Europe". You can find this reasearch here: Impacts of wild ungulates on vegetation: costs and benefits - ResearchGate
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 03-04-2015 at 12:36.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Looking at "Behaviour and Management of European Ungulates" (2014) it looks like this research was added to in 2011, as Reimoser and Putman published "Impact of Large Ungulates on agriculture, forestry and conservation habitats in Europe". You can find this reasearch here: Impacts of wild ungulates on vegetation: costs and benefits - ResearchGate
    From the above (my bold):

In general, however, it would appear that damage due to cervids is rarely of significance at a national level. This is not to suggest that these animals do not cause significant damage; rather that such damage tends to be extremely patchy and localised – significant on a farm by farm or even field by field basis rather than on a larger, regional or national scale (see, for example, Doney and Packer, 1998; Putman and Kjellander, 2002; Putman 2004).

Even where instantaneous grazing impacts appear high, loss of yield is often negligible due to compensatory growth within the crop.

Thus, such published data as are available suggest that overall, loss of yield in most arable crops due to grazing of vegetative parts of the plants by roe deer was likely to be insignificant.

Overall grain yields per square meter in fields of wheat and barley grazed by roe or fallow deer in the south of England were not significantly reduced and were in some cases increased (Putman, 1986b; Doney, 1999).

Damage caused by trampling or rolling of the larger species (fallow or red deer) in visiting cereal fields late in the season may also be of real significance, when the opportunity for compensatory growth is past (Putman, 1989; Doney, 1999).
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks. I'll have a read through these later and hopefully they will contain what I need.