Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fallkniven phk knives

Fallkniven phk knives

Anybody use one of these?Ive been thinking of treating myself after years of using cheap knives i fancy something nice.I have heard good things about fallkniven knives but would like to hear something from guys who use them for stalking.
    CHEERS SEAN

i have a tk3 and a tk5, these are made with thier 3g steel, they are very good quality easy to sharpen and hold a good edge

steve

A lot depends on wether you like and can maintain a convex edge. The H1 is also a good hunting knife, if you want something with a flat grind the Spyderco Morans are very good.

As Rooster said, A Fallniven F1 is arguably one of the greatest bushcraft/survival knives ever made.I have one and I love it, but nowadays I'd rather carry my Mora 2000 In a kydex sheath (about 60 for the set). Although Moras are the original "cheap" knife I find the quality/cost ratio unsurpassed. A convex edge is a realy love hate issue, I'm a fan, but most are'nt. Just as a point, I think the Fallniven sheaths are shocking, nasty nasty leather. If you dont mind a leather sheath, try a Kassesundo Kniven Hunter with the 10cm blade, a really cracking knife, made in the far north of sweden and a lovely tool to use.

As Rooster said the Bill Morans are good, though I find the handles a tad small.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Had to happen...i completely disagree with Sam.

Mora knives - horrible cheap, bendy and nasty. It may be because i'm an engineer, but i really dislike cheap metal, how poorly they keep and edge, etc.

I have a F1 and love it - i love it for its shape and balance, i love it for the way it makes gralloching so easy and how well it keeps a razor sharp edge. Incidentally, don't bother with the leather sheath - pay the few quid extra and get the plastic one. Great design which holds the knife securely and can be tossed into the dishwasher with the knife after use.

Thanks for the comments i agree that cheap mora or frost style knives will do the job.But i want something that when skinning pigs it will hold an edge frosts etc.need constant sharping no great hardship i know,But i fancy treating myself and buying something that will make the job abit easier.I think i'm getting old
    THANKS SEAN

If you do go for a Fallkniven try Greenman Bushcraft. Excellent prices and service. Dont get me wrong, an F1 is a cracking knife, for gralloching I like the Mora but for paddling and swimming the Fallkniven is my No.1 choice

Have fun with whatever you buy

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Sean,

The F1 as mentioned is great, the PHK has a great blade shape but is really thick at 5mm, i was very very dissapointed with mine and sent it straight back to HH. If you are thinking of a Fallkiven go for a F1 etc. Last years price hike makes them incredible expensive for what they are. Look at a Boker Savanah or Bob Dozier if you cant get your hands on an Alan Wood / Rob Bayley etc.

Each to his own but a Mora / Frost has ***** steel, anybody who dissagrees knows nothing about metallurgy..
    Last edited by Sariel; 03-04-2010 at 21:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel View Post
    Each to his own but a Mora / Frost has ***** steel, anybody who dissagrees knows nothing about metallurgy..
    Ahh so why is it the only knife that Mors Kochanski uses? They do hold a good edge though. And cost/quality ratio, what can beat it?

And your right, I know nothing about you fancy word up there, but I know what works Ohh and I have got custom blades made with the "best" steel. But I still use a Mora for the gralloch

Sam
    Last edited by Sam; 04-04-2010 at 09:37.

If i was paying 200 quid plus for a knife i would be buying a custom from a good maker, you choose the steel, handle, sheath and have something unique have a look at the British Blades site for ideas. There are plenty of makers out there, you do not have to put your name on a list and wait years for a Bayley or Woods, lots of others.