Thread: Bedding my .308

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries

Bedding my .308

I'm not the most accurate of shooters, yes, I can get it close enough, but I do feel I need to be fully confident with my equipment to make sure it is down to me.

After buying my .308 and getting it screwcut I was unfortunate to have the humanity who did it leave a burr in the crown which meant it was shooting all over the shop and my confidence dropped.

I felt it was a trigger issue and sent it off to Brock and Norris for the trigger to be worked on, which it duly was however Mike also checked the crown, discovered the burr and recrowned it.

Unfortunately I was still not 100% confident and it was nagging at me. So back it went to be bedded. Since then I have had a few discussions with people as to the point of doing it and my argument has always been for my piece of mind.

Well it has come back and has been down to the range and finally it is at a point where I am confident with it and happy to take it out stalking.

The target was 100 yds using 150 gr ppu. Hopefully doing some load development next week with Adamant and so also hoping the group will get smaller

I chose to use Mike Norris after the last work he did - again I am very happy with his work. He is busy, but then he is good so it's to be expected.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0204.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	54864
    Last edited by joed; 04-04-2015 at 07:15.

If it gives you the confidence you need then it's money well spent , and you've improved the accuracy and consistency of your rifle

what rifle is it ?

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Weatherby vanguard vgl. I wish I had some of the targets before to show the spread

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Weatherby vanguard vgl. I wish I had some of the targets before to show the spread
    If it's shooting like that with factory ppu do you really want to bother reloading for it?

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    I take your point, curiosity is getting the better of me though. I wonder how it will go with a load development.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    I take your point, curiosity is getting the better of me though. I wonder how it will go with a load development.
    Fair enough!