Hornady COAL gauge.

Cloudhopper

I have a Hornady overall length gauge. I use it for my 308 and have a threaded dummy case. I'm about to start loading for a 20 Tac which uses the 223 case necked down. The diameter of the head of a 223 case looks very similar to that of the thread body on the gauge and I doubt it will be possible to drill it out and thread it..

Do Hornady supply a different gauge for the smaller calibres or is there an adapter available?
CH

The Hornady (Stoney Point) gauge I have takes a normally shaped 223 case (with extractor groove) that is bored out & tapped . There isn't a lot of metal left - but there is enough.
Mine is a "Stoney Point MC-223 REM MODIFIED CASE" with a bar code number 7 87945 04105 2.
Just buy a new modified case or bore & tap one of your own cases & you should be fine. --- I don't think there are different versions of the gauge body -- Could be wrong though.

Ian

The Hornady (Stoney Point) gauge I have takes a normally shaped 223 case (with extractor groove) that is bored out & tapped . There isn't a lot of metal left - but there is enough.
Mine is a "Stoney Point MC-223 REM MODIFIED CASE" with a bar code number 7 87945 04105 2.
Just buy a new modified case or bore & tap one of your own cases & you should be fine. --- I don't think there are different versions of the gauge body -- Could be wrong though.

Ian

I'll buy the new, modified case. Thanks Ian.
CH

Back