Am I being unreasonable?

I have had big issues with their customer service so I looked up the name of the MD and emailed my contact at SGC and CCd the MD. The reply came in faster than a 55Grain ballistic tip, I received a speedy apology and my issue was solved promptly. The MD understand the principles of developing long term sustainable business, sadly some of the employees don't.
And I imagine the member of staff concerned has been reminded of the reason why he receives a salary ;)

Just Google 'Sportsman and Gun Center Managing Director' to find his name.
the email address is his christianname(lower case)@sportsmanguncenter.com

If that works it would be nice if you post it on the forum so more people can follow your example.
Th'is done. Will let you know how it works out. It's a shame that a place with keen prices can't be bothered to spread a little tlc.

Last edited:
I got a high seat from them a few years back, it arrived the following day (which I didn't think would happen for £6.00 and being the opposite end of the country, but it did) but I rang the order through and made sure it was in stock and would be dispatched before I paid

Had exactly the same problem with them when I bought and paid for some reloading gear.
Despite being shown in stock only half of my order arrived. . Two weeks later I cancelled the remainder and asked for a refund. . . Haven't used them since.

I've used them for years both in store and mail order and had nothing but great service. I recently ordered some Warne Mounts which were out of stock and they let me know immediately via email and refunded without quibbling after discussing how long it might take.
Not defending any poor service you've recieved but just adding my thoughts.

I suspect that a lot of their business is generated by their double page adverts in the shooting magazines. But surely sooner or later, if they keep alienating customers, the law of diminishing returns means less and less customers.

At the risk of being repetitive, I will pretty much always go to my local gun shop for stuff. There are competitive ones out there and often they will knock a bit off. It may still be a tad pricier, but what cost do you put on actually getting your goods there and then, a bit of advice and coffee if needed and somewhere to take it back to if it's faulty.

The idea of not keeping lots of stock may work well for the likes of tyre fitters, who can whistle up the tyres you need the same day or at worst the next day, but with the range of stock the Sportsman Gun Centre (allegedly) keeps, I'm not sure it's a model that is appropriate.

Not sure how much longer the Dorset store will be open as the shooting ground closed a few months ago so they have lost their captive audience and we're pretty much heaving every weekend, now you can count the customers on one hand the last few times I've popped in.

I brought the very same binoculars as the OP has ordered and they were a couple of quid cheaper in their 7 day new year sale that seems to have lasted 4 months now, they were the only pair in the store.

They are extremely expensive for most stuff (reloading powder is 50% more than I pay in my club) but occasionally have good offers on but you have to ask how much profit they make on stuff when they appear to have about 30 pages of advertising in gunmart every month. I know for a fact that they do not want to buy 2nd hand guns or take them as part ex's as the MD does not want anyone else's sh#. and will offer stupid low prices to anyone asking (the staff always tell people to sell them themselves), the owner of my club gets offered anything suitable they take in and can't believe the low prices they offer the stuff to him.

Hope you get your binoculars soon as they are cracking.

You wouldn't be the first person on here to complain about poor customer service from them.

Oh dear! Another "mug" expecting items promised to arrive when promised. Been there with Sportsman and posted a thread about it on here some time ago. You have my sympathy.

Primer, the fact is the market is awash with secondhand guns, I have seen shotguns and rifles, sold for £1 each as scrap.
Unless the shop has a customer looking for a certain model, most don,t want your old rifle, selling privately will always generate a better price.

Speak as you find when buying online from the sportsman gun centre the service I have received has been first class with one exception when I was notified that something that I had ordered was out of stock. and as I wanted it urgently I received an immediate refund and went elsewhere. So I can't even complain about that.

However I have to say that I am rather disappointed with the service I have received from my local sportsman shop over the last few years. The shop has always been very no extremely supportive of the H4H charity shoot that I have run over the last five years. As a consequence of which I have tried my very best to be supportive of the shop with my custom when purchasing new rifles either for myself or the club that I am a member of. On three occasions now I have tried to spend money with the shop by ordering new rifles or attempting to order new rifles, or even attempting to get a price only to be disappointed because they have been unable to obtain the rifles I wanted or have been simply let down by their suppliers.
You can't blame the staff in the shop for this as they are at the mercy of the importers or distributors, and I have had the feeling that they have been genuinely embarrassed by their inability to supply.

However on the last occasion I tried to order a rifle from sportsman on behalf the club I emailed the shop twice seeking a price an a new Anschutz target rifle after initially being told by them that Anschutz no longer made the required model, then RUAG informing me differently and actually having two rifles waiting in the warehouse.
I then phoned sportsman four times attempting to speak to the member of staff who was dealing with this sale and who has always been so helpful in the past only to be told that he was busy or not available, and on three occasions that he would phone me back. I never received a return call so we purchased elsewhere.

Last edited:
I received my binos yesterday. Not the 10x42 I ordered but a set of 8x42 Minox BV for a very good price. Eric Hamburger, your tip was spot on and worked.
The MD treated me very well and sorted everything out. It appears that the problem with my order was down to a mismatch between the website and the stock available.
These things happen. From the responses on here it seems that they happen too often, even if we take the volume of orders into account.
I will give them another try, if only to prove or disprove whether this was a one off or not.

There is only one way to buy from the Sportsman, go in person and don'y buy on-line.
I live near Exeter but only go there if i am desperate, they were on this site for a few weeks as 'customer service advisors', they didn't last long.
The gun shop in Heavitree (family owned for more years than i can remember) have always served me well, although lacking in personality!
As an example, i got a price from the Sportsman for a complete set up including a Hungarian S&B scope, i went to Heavitree, they matched the price but i walked out with a German S&B scope.
Cheers
Richard

I was aware of the potentially poor service that could be had from sportsman but ordered a pair of the Minox 8x42 binos and they arrived in 3 working days direct from the warehouse. So I have to give credit where it is due, for me the did a good service. Sorry to hear ofothers problems. regards sbm
Hi same 3 days can't complain I was surprised how good they are.
Jim

There is only one way to buy from the Sportsman, go in person and don'y buy on-line.
I live near Exeter but only go there if i am desperate, they were on this site for a few weeks as 'customer service advisors', they didn't last long.
The gun shop in Heavitree (family owned for more years than i can remember) have always served me well, although lacking in personality!
As an example, i got a price from the Sportsman for a complete set up including a Hungarian S&B scope, i went to Heavitree, they matched the price but i walked out with a German S&B scope.
Cheers
Richard
good deal then , I went into a gunshop in portsmouth and said I could get them cheaper at sportsmans, he said best you go there then. Mind you I still shopped there and got some good bargains.

Back