Thread: Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide

Has anyone applied to the Home Office for a license to buy Hydrogen Peroxide for bleaching trophies and were they successful.

As some of you will be aware since September 2014 it has been illegal to buy Hydrogen Peroxide
    stronger than 12% without having a license issued by the Home Office when applying you need to state use and only if your reason is acceptable will a license be granted , license will cost £39.50
    and be valid for three years.

Only interested in anyone's experience in applying for said license.

Not interested in Hydrogen Peroxide of strength less than 30%
    nor Hydrogen Peroxide paste used by hairdressers
    nor bleaching pastes or liquids supplied by Bushwear and others.

While all these will work and are OK if you only have a few heads to prepare , weak peroxide liquid and paste is not really effective when doing large amounts as they take to long to act.

Again the bleaching powders etc work out to be to expensive when doing large numbers.

Any info very much appreciated .

I just buy 35% on line, take your pick from zillions of sites and yes v v successful, happily post pics if want - dip or paint on and pure white in a day when dried. Use gloves or your skin will go white also before dropping off

S

Quote Originally Posted by sh1kar View Post
    I just buy 35% on line, take your pick from zillions of sites and yes v v successful, happily post pics if want - dip or paint on and pure white in a day when dried. Use gloves or your skin will go white also before dropping off

S
    Yes I have been using 35% for years, and have always bought it on line, but that's the point since September last year it's illegal for suppliers to sell to anyone who does not have a license.

You must supply copy of license before they will dispatch.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Yes I have been using 35% for years, and have always bought it on line, but that's the point since September last year it's illegal for suppliers to sell to anyone who does not have a license.

You must supply copy of license before they will dispatch.
    Bogtrotter,

The illegality is with the seller, not the buyer. If you can source online then continue to do so

Only IF you cannot then is the time to cough up for a licence. Europe is a big place.

Stan

I asked my barber and he said to go to a hairdresser's wholesalers. They won't even ask what you want it for. The paste stuff is best as it sticks to the skull and you can just paint it on, no need to immerse it.

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    Bogtrotter,

The illegality is with the seller, not the buyer. If you can source online then continue to do so

Only IF you cannot then is the time to cough up for a licence. Europe is a big place.

Stan
    Incorrect Stan

'September 2014, it is an offence for a member of the public to acquire or import any of the regulated substances without holding a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office. If found guilty of this offence, there is a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment and/or a fine.'

after 2016 even if you have old stock at hand you could be committing an offence.

theyll be banning aspirin next and we all know what you can make from that!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Incorrect Stan

'September 2014, it is an offence for a member of the public to acquire or import any of the regulated substances without holding a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office. If found guilty of this offence, there is a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment and/or a fine.'

after 2016 even if you have old stock at hand you could be committing an offence.

theyll be banning aspirin next and we all know what you can make from that!
    Yes, the restriction is on the buyer. See Licensing for home users of explosive precursors - GOV.UK

"From 2 September 2014, members of the public who want to acquire or import these chemicals must have a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document.

From 2 March 2016, members of the public who want to possess or use these chemicals must have a valid EPP licence issued by the Home Office and an associated photographic identity document."

The actual legislation (The Control of Explosives Precursors Regulations 2014) can be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0141942_en.pdf

"Activities prohibited without a licence:

(1) A member of the general public commits an offence if he or she does anything listed in paragraph (2) without having a licence, or a recognised non-GB licence, to do that thing with respect to that explosives precursor.

(2) The things are—
    (a) importing a regulated explosives precursor,
    (b) acquiring a regulated explosives precursor,
    (c) possessing a regulated explosives precursor,
    (d) using a regulated explosives precursor.

(3) In these Regulations—
    (a) “acquiring” means taking into your possession, custody or control,
    (b) “importing” means bringing into Great Britain from a country or territory outside the United Kingdom,
    (c) “possessing” means having in your possession, custody or control, and
    (d) “using” includes processing, formulating, storing, treating or mixing, including in the production of an article.

(4) This regulation does not apply to the possession or use of a regulated explosives precursor at
    any time before 3rd March 2016. "
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 08-04-2015 at 15:46.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick A View Post
    I asked my barber and he said to go to a hairdresser's wholesalers. They won't even ask what you want it for. The paste stuff is best as it sticks to the skull and you can just paint it on, no need to immerse it.
    Patrick , it's OK but it's not that strong its for bleaching hair after all , it's also to expensive if you have a lot of heads to do,always used 30% or stronger when I could get it, with strong peroxide you only needed to dip the heads and let them dry, so it lasted quite a while and was economical.

You have to have a good reason for a license to buy it , just wondered if anyone had applied for one and if they had excepted trophy preparation as a good enough reason.

the other option I have used before (on a hippo skull of all things) are the bromide tablets used in my swimming pool Chuck one in a bucket of warmish water and leave it in with the skull. Roe I left in for about 2 weeks, the hippo took about 2 months. I suspect nowhere near as strong as the 30% H2O2 but does a lovely clean job and doesn't seem to dry out the bone as much.

The other trick I learned from a skull taxidermist who does work for museums is post short boil to clean most meat and gristle off skull is to jet wash it then soak in Biotex enzyme washing powder for a couple of weeks. This gets all the ingrained fat and grease out of the bone and makes the bleaching much easier as it takes it more readily

Bogtrotter if you do apply for a license be interested in how you get on

S