Thread: Dog out for her first stalk

Dog out for her first stalk

As a few of my pals stalk with thier dogs I thought I'd try a young lab Ive got .shes biddable loving and has done a bit of picking up at the end of last season so gunfire is no problem .
    she walked well to heal even though the sticks did catch her a few times when she got ahead of herself .although I didn't see a deer or fox I thought I'd try a prone position to fire and see what happened this she thought was a great game and proceeded to jump all over me giving me a good ol wash not what I had in mind
    any ways we both enjoyed the outing next to see what she's like under a seat !! Think I'll tether her any tips gratefully received
    norma

My little friend has been coming out with me for the past year now. He's a 2 year old HWV. Lots of patience is required and you have to be prepared to bump a few deer in the name of dog training before they start to become really useful.

I did a lot of rabbit shooting with mine before we went out on the deer. Teaches them to walk slowly to heel and lie down when you go prone to take the shot. They get the hang of staying behind the rifle as well, with only the crack of a .17HMR if they do get a bit too far forward. With those lessons learnt I found it much easier to transfer onto the deer with a reasonable amount of knowledge under his belt.

He's still a rather head strong bubbly 2 year old HWV who will take a while to mature, but he has already been invaluable on two occasions where beasts have run into deep cover after the shot and I do enjoy being out with him. Just need to spend more time in the field.
    So much to learn and so little time left

That's a good tip as I know I would get a wash when went prone!

Try sitting the dog at the bottom of the stairs in ya house while you go the top step and read a book or something, or if ya don't mine next door thinking ya have gone a bit nuts set a small ladder up against the side of the house, sit the dog and take a cup of tea up and just sit there a while.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Spot on jimmy I'll have to do the later I live in bungalow
    cheers Norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Spot on jimmy I'll have to do the later I live in bungalow
    cheers Norma
    Sit the dog there while ya cleaning ya guttering out then lol
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

these are the out the box training methods that books don't tell you.