Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of Deer stalking dream

End of Deer stalking dream

Well after another 8hrs of the fruitless knocking of doors around the hereford and knighton area trying to find some permission I have decided to knock the stalking idea on the head and go back to just foxing. Even that was a 2hr drive for me. May I wish you all the best for the future guys.

Rob

Just pay for some days just like a lot of others.

Hey, don't diepair, we are pretty much all in the same boat, just keep asking.

Jim

Sorry this went on the wrong section. I'd love to pay for the stalking but hours have been cut in work now so I've got to pull the belt in a bit 😢

keep trying you only have to be lucky once. Try for vermin shooting first, then when you are known and trusted the stalking will hopefully follow.

Never quit. Keep practicing for the deer hunt and when it comes time to prove your mettle, you'll do it and be well accepted. I don't have a problem with finding deer hunting but there are some select areas on private lands that take some doing / coaxing to get permission to hunt. I hunted a man's farm last fall and the only time he knew I'd been there was when I stopped by and offered him some venison after the kill. I stalked the deer for 3/4 mile and took her out with a single shot. He liked that I was neat and efficient and spoke to his neighbors on my behalf for the next season getting me permission to hunt some land I'd never thought of pursuing.

One foot in the door....~Muir

Any Elk? If so we can do a swap!
    Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Never quit. Keep practicing for the deer hunt and when it comes time to prove your mettle, you'll do it and be well accepted. I don't have a problem with finding deer hunting but there are some select areas on private lands that take some doing / coaxing to get permission to hunt. I hunted a man's farm last fall and the only time he knew I'd been there was when I stopped by and offered him some venison after the kill. I stalked the deer for 3/4 mile and took her out with a single shot. He liked that I was neat and efficient and spoke to his neighbors on my behalf for the next season getting me permission to hunt some land I'd never thought of pursuing.

One foot in the door....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Any Elk? If so we can do a swap!
    Cheers
    Richard
    No elk that I can hunt, though there are elk on the property (ies). I might get a crack at a cow if i ask.
    For the last three weeks I've been riding predator control on a herd of beef cattle and their calves on a ranch 50 miles away from my home. The spread covers 50K+ acres and there are deer and elk aplenty. Part of it is on tribal land and off limits, but a particularly wild section is on State land. I'm told I can hunt it if I wish. I've seen whitetail, mule deer, antelope, and elk out there...~Muir

Perception can be everything to, don't arrive at a property looking like a hunter, leave the camo off until you have gained permission, better to look like an accountant than a miscreant. Back in the day when looking for land to hunt, I would not take any rifles with me or other people. It took a lot of miles driving on week ends but persistence paid off. Luckily I have 2 properties to hunt which I have done so for 30 years , watched the farmers kids grow up and go to college and start families of their own.
    More recently my oppo and I have gained permission to another property where hunting or shooting was banned by the owner. It was a simple introduction by the owner of the property we do have access to that did it, now we have exclusive rights to hunt there.
    On our most recently acquired permission, the owner was so pleased with the cull we did she gave us $200.00. We immediately refused the money but she would not take it back telling us to buy more ammo to eradicate 'her' vermin with.
    Its also helpful if you have any particular skills which you can offer like , electrical work or carpentry. In small towns here , it sometimes pays to go and have a soft drink at the local pub. Talk to the bar staff and ask if they know of any farmer that may be approachable or put a card on the notice board of the pub with your phone number on it.
    Once permission is granted and it goes without saying , treat the property like it was your own. If permission is refused, accept it with good graces, thank the owner for his time and always ask if he may have neighbour that allows hunting.
    Never give up, you just don't know what is around the corner.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka84 View Post
    Well after another 8hrs of the fruitless knocking of doors around the hereford and knighton area trying to find some permission I have decided to knock the stalking idea on the head and go back to just foxing. Even that was a 2hr drive for me. May I wish you all the best for the future guys.

Rob
    Good things come to those who wait,you have only been looking for a tomato season.
    I don't have stalking land but just pay for stalks and also meet new stalkers.
    Somehing will turn up but it might be years/months or even weeks around the corner