Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self loading rifles have no place in deer stalking.

Self loading rifles have no place in deer stalking.

Quote from Pip on another thread.
    I cannot believe that some on here are bemoaning the fact that self loading rifles have been banned. Apart from the battlefield, the only place an SLR has in shooting game is driven shooting and that is banned in the UK! In my opinion, SLRs and handguns attract the wrong sort of people to shooting. I'M HEADING TO MY BUNKER NOW.

To my mind its strange how people view a weapon because its not the normal bolt action type rifle.
    I personaly would not have a self loading rifle only because it puts me of seeing the empty case fly out in front of my eyes. I do know several people here who use them. My nieghbour has the Sauer 303 in 300 win mag and a very nice bit of kit it is.
    I do have a pump slug gun though.
    Just because it reloads fast it do's not mean you have to load the weapon with more than 2-3 bullets.
    Even with my Mauser M03 i can fire of bullets at an amazing rate and i have seen a chap shooting a Blaser reload at a speed that had to be seen to be believed.
    Its the same rubbish i have seen and heard about single shot rifles (Animal welfare issuse etc)
    Who said its illegall to shoot driven deer in the UK? Try it you might find its
    fun.
    Who are these wrong sorts of people self loadering rifles and pistols will attract to deer stalking?

www.prokennel.se

I dont know a H&K PSG1 would make a fine stalking rifle if you could put up with the weight. It will shoot sub inch no problem.

Dave

I noticed a small minority that would benefit, from them being allowed some sort of discretionary grant of a self loader, those due to injury or some similar condition.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'm given to think that there is little real "need" for a self loading rifle. However there may be a small number of people who through disability and the like could shoot if they had an SLR but who currently can't shoot. So I think there my be a good argument for actual need for an SLR in some cases. Personally I don't want one, but that is no reason to stop someone else having one.

Where I live pistols are not, currently, banned and one of the clubs I shoot in has a big pistol section. Despite what I imagined, which was in keeping with the idea that pistols might attract the sort who keep "dangerous dogs" as a status symbol, I have not found this to be the case. I have found the pistol shooters to be very nice folks indeed and they come from a wide range of backgrounds and shoot for a wide range of reasons. To date I haven't met a single one that I might consider to verge on the type who would have the pistol as a status symbol. To be honest illegal pistols are so widely available in the UK that I imagine any "tough guy" who wants a pistol for show can get one without any need to mess about with the legal clubs and regulations. One chap who shoots at our club has a wife who suffers from altzimers and he gets someone to look after her for an hour or two every saturday morning while he comes down and shoots his little .22 pistol at some targets. It is his only escape from his caring duties in the week and he enjoys the little break and the chance to relax and focus on his targets and chat to other club members for a while. I defy anyone to make a good argument as to why we should take his pistol off him but I imagine the government are working on some made up "science" to give them a good reason to take it away.

As shooters we need to stick together and to defend the rights of all to shoot in the way they wish. This should not be based on an emotional argument but rather on hard science. Is there any evidence that legal pistol shooters here in Northern Ireland are any more dangerous than the average man in the street? When was the last time a legal pistol was used in a murder here? (I can't ever remember a case of a civilian held legal pistol being used in something illegal.)

Originally Posted by pip
    I cannot believe that some on here are bemoaning the fact that self loading rifles have been banned. Apart from the battlefield, the only place an SLR has in shooting game is driven shooting and that is banned in the UK! In my opinion, SLRs and handguns attract the wrong sort of people to shooting. I'M HEADING TO MY BUNKER NOW.

This is a stalking site, not a 'shooting' site: a fact which might just about excuse this remark, were not for that fact that SLRs are notoriously more easily handled by lighter-built persons and those with disabilities.

In Pip's defence, this view can only be based on an ignorance of shooting sports so complete that it disqualifies the holder from being taken seriously other than by those who share this lack of knowledge.
    However, we must remember that such people are in the majority in the general population, and that is precisely this sort of attitude that makes the sequential banning of one shooting discipline after another so straightforward in this country.

We are indeed our own worst enemies.

SD Regular
    From the 1988 Firearms Act debate:

HL Deb 18 July 1988: "Clifford Owen has held a firearms certificate since 1937. He was wounded in the spine and wrist at Normandy. He shoots roe deer and red deer in this country and red deer and wild boar in Poland....He chose a Remington pump-action rifle. He spent much time and effort modifying it to meet his special needs. It has a capacity of four rounds only. It will be banned by the Bill".

So maybe you are right that self loading and pump action rifles (we, his friends, got him the Remington in 308 as the Heckler and Koch 270 or Browning BAR was too expensive) have no place in deer stalking.

And who really gives a **** whether Clifford Owen or those from today in Iraq and Afghanistan wounded in the service of their country have to give up their shooting.

As long as "I'm alright Jack" I suppose?

Or maybe they can jolly well buy a double rifle, eh, what, what?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 02-04-2010 at 10:41.

Oh dear ............................ despite what some might think there is always and always will be a certain element who perhaps should find alternative sport or pastime. Like the daft idiot who shot as the rustling in the bushes mentioned on these forums!

If someone wishes to hunt deer or other quarry with a SLR then providing normal safety is addressed, and that's the same no matter "what type of action the weapon is" it really makes no difference to me at all. I am not particularly enamoured with the SLR's I see but then again there are those B/A's that I also am not keen on so....................................?

Thumbs up Pip talks sense

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post

Pip,

When not talking about bullets, you really post some sensible stuff.

You are spot on semi autos have no place in UK stalking.

It is called Stalking.

Getting close to ones quarry and taking a single well aimed shot.

Not blatting off numerous rounds until you manage to hit one.

Ask anyone who has both a semi and a bolt 22rimmy what there cartridge kill ratio is with each and I will bet you the bolt gun wins every time.

Pip I will join you in the bunker now!

I think some of us are wearing blinkers.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Pip,
    You are spot on semi autos have no place in UK stalking.

It is called Stalking.

Getting close to ones quarry and taking a single well aimed shot.

Not blatting off numerous rounds until you manage to hit one.
    Setting the other useful properties of SLRs with respect to ease of handling aside: when I go stalking, I carriy a magazine rifle charged with five rounds. I operate the bolt immediately I have fired, but still seem to manage to avoid discharging the entire contents of my magazine at the beast in question.

As a former c/f pistol-shooter, I'm interested to know whether you share Pip's views on that now-extinct body of sportsmen.