Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe buck condition

Roe buck condition

Evening all,

this weekend I was on a new permission and took the smallest of the two Roe Bucks that came to a safe range. I'm still relatively new to stalking and its the first buck I have taken in velvet. I took the carcass to a butcher that is highly recommended and he certainly came across as a very competent guy. anyway, he gave the beast a fondle and asked how healthy the animals health had seemed during the stalk and gralloch as the meat seemed a little adrenalin stressed or similar. So the shot was good. 30-06 right in the engine room with the beast dropping on the spot and also the overall condition and gralloch was good... liver was clear and lymphatic system seemed fine also.

So... I was wondering, could the meat seem stressed by the deer being in velvet?

thanks in advance,

Tbox

Quote Originally Posted by Tbox View Post
    Evening all,

this weekend I was on a new permission and took the smallest of the two Roe Bucks that came to a safe range. I'm still relatively new to stalking and its the first buck I have taken in velvet. I took the carcass to a butcher that is highly recommended and he certainly came across as a very competent guy. anyway, he gave the beast a fondle and asked how healthy the animals health had seemed during the stalk and gralloch as the meat seemed a little adrenalin stressed or similar. So the shot was good. 30-06 right in the engine room with the beast dropping on the spot and also the overall condition and gralloch was good... liver was clear and lymphatic system seemed fine also.

So... I was wondering, could the meat seem stressed by the deer being in velvet?

thanks in advance,

Tbox
    The meat is always "stressed" when the buyer wants to pay less......

Stan

[QUOTE=smullery;948652]The meat is always "stressed" when the buyer wants to pay less......

Agreed, when did the butcher become a vet, did he do a ph level test on the carcase

You took the shot ...
    Did the beast seem edgy or ready to take flight ?

Or
    Was it happily browsing away feeding / grazing ?

Don't see what being in velvet has to do with it ?

Think your but her trying to pull a fast one & get summit for near to nothing .

Paul

ha ha ha,,yep, he's trying to fool you and knock the price down, don't give him anymore business, he clearly thinks you're dumber than him.

Evening all,

thanks in advance,

Tbox
    The only thing stressed seems to be the butcher's wallet. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by smullery View Post
    The meat is always "stressed" when the buyer wants to pay less......

Stan
    My thoughts exactly, did he then suck his teeth and lower the price?

Evening all,

thanks in advance,

Tbox
    I would have said that's ok mate, I will take it and feed the dogs with it....Then picked it up, and walked to the truck.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

As above. He's at it. Hope you told him to get stuffed?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Hi All,

thanks for the replies. I can safely say that it wasn't an effort for the butcher to knock the price down. it's for my own consumption, I just take it to him to process as he does a better job than I can and charges a flat rate - regardless of condition!

Sauer makes a good point - the deer did appear quite briskly (though not at full pelt) from nearby woodland could well have been 'bumped'... I guess this could easily account for it.

The reason I asked about the effect of the deer being in velvet, was just out of interest really. I was wondering if all that rapid antler growth could effect the condition of the deer.

thanks all.
    Tbox