Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Highseats Compared

British Highseats Compared

For those that have hunted abroad on the continent, how you compare british wooden highseats with the continental highseats?

Likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses etc.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

So I'm guessing not many SD members hunt on the continent and build their own back home?

To generalise somewhat I would say that the majority of the high seats used in this country are ladder type high seats either lean to or free standing with some Norfolk tower type seats. Lean to are more common than free standing because we don't really have a shortage of trees. Probably the split of materials used for construction would be about 50 - 50 as to steel and timber.

The mirador type stand or the cabin in the sky that you often see used in Europe aren't in general use over here. Commercially manufactured metal seats are often the same makes as those that you see on sale in the large continental retailers.

I think you could say that most stalkers much prefer to actually stalk rather than sit in a high seat, but a high seat can be a very productive tool if sited correctly.
    Last edited by 8x57; 06-04-2015 at 06:31.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

So nobody building any hochsitz with kanzels then?

Quote Originally Posted by mchughcb View Post
    So nobody building any hochsitz with kanzels then?
    Not familiar with the term mchughcb so looked it up and according to my translator that would mean "high seat or perch with a pulpit"?

For those that have hunted abroad on the continent, how you compare british wooden highseats with the continental highseats?

Likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses etc.
    I have shot deer from both fixed high towers and estate free standing seats, out of the two I prefer the high tower as they cover a greater area set on the centre of 4 rides.

With all the free standing seats I have used the front bar has been to low even on full adjustment. granted this is due to that particular design of seat.

Just like at a clay shoot I went to on Sunday, most things are set up by right handed people, which I have found applied to free standing seats.
    Nothing worse than being dropped off in the dark to find your natural side to shoot is hampered by the position of the seat as dark turns in to light...

I have just finished my 5th home made high with plenty of adjustment....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post

Just like at a clay shoot I went to on Sunday, most things are set up by right handed people, which I have found applied to free standing seats.
    Nothing worse than being dropped off in the dark to find your natural side to shoot is hampered by the position of the seat as dark turns in to light...

Tim.243
    Don't try playing that left handed discrimination card on here Tim.
    I'm trying to work out how a free standing seat can be biased, normally you would use a free stander where there aren't any trees to support a lean to. I just can't picture the problem myself at the moment perhaps it will come to me later.

P.S. Surely a clay shoot should have an equal number of left hand and right hand crossers?
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-04-2015 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Don't try playing that left handed discrimination card on here Tim.
    I'm trying to work out how a free standing seat can be biased, normally you would use a free stander where there aren't any trees to support a lean to. I just can't picture the problem myself at the moment perhaps it will come to me later.

P.S. Surely a clay shoot should have an equal number of left hand and right hand crossers?

Only speaking as I have found, as there is only so much room in a free standing seat to move yourself over.

It is all relative as by the number of right handed rifles made compared to left handed ones.

It is just how it is..... When I sit in a pigeon hide with my mate then I sit on his right as my gun sits on my lap facing away, he does the same...

I use a right handed 700 as I was brought up using my Dads RH BSA .22 so I knew nothing else...

Both my 325 and 425 have a left cast....

However my milling machine and drill press are right handed as they don't make left handed ones lol

What I found on Sunday was the bias of the cages was for a right hander as I had to turn around to start my swing on the birds coming from behind, where my right handed mate could miss them just as well as me lol

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 07-04-2015 at 09:33. Reason: spelling.............again

Hi Tim, understand completely if the ladder type setup is for a right hander. If you have to shoot to the left but you can't stand because the footing is a ladder rung it makes it very difficult. I much prefer a kanzel type hochsitz and you have plenty of room to move and because I take a chair (helinox) with me I can set it up any position. The height of my safety/shooting rail is designed to make shooting from camp chairs easy as well as stop you falling out.

Hi Tim, understand completely if the ladder type setup is for a right hander. If you have to shoot to the left but you can't stand because the footing is a ladder rung it makes it very difficult. I much prefer a kanzel type hochsitz and you have plenty of room to move and because I take a chair (helinox) with me I can set it up any position. The height of my safety/shooting rail is designed to make shooting from camp chairs easy as well as stop you falling out.
    I do like to add an Essex modification....lol

The little white dot in the distance is a fallow on its side....

Tim