Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on here?

What's going on here?

I did a quick search for images of 'british sporting rifle club running deer' using the AVG search-machine, and this pic is one that came up. The website it was on seems no longer to exist, so I can't find anything out about it.

What on earth is going on here?

The old website was bsrc.co.uk, but that has been replaced with http://www.sportingrifle.org

Running deer:- http://www.sportingrifle.org/running-deer/4571432273

Hope this helps

Cheers
    iain
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Martini action?, South African campaign period?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    The old website was bsrc.co.uk, but that has been replaced with http://www.sportingrifle.org

Running deer:- http://www.sportingrifle.org/running-deer/4571432273

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    iain
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Martini action?, South African campaign period?
    I was certainly thinking late 19thC - as you say, Martini action.
    What's with the rather theatrically-clad young lady, though?

Is it the young Brithunter showing off his weapon ?
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Montage showing Britannia providing our brave soldier the means of maintaining the Empire by the look of it.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Montage showing Britannia providing our brave soldier the means of maintaining the Empire by the look of it.

Ian
    Britannia usually wears a rather striking hat, though; so I wonder whether she's an allegory of something?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Britannia usually wears a rather striking hat, though; so I wonder whether she's an allegory of something?
    True & she usually has a pitch fork with her too! - Maybe in this case she couldn't carry the trident & the rifle at the same time & she has already given the soldier her hat!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Is it the young Brithunter showing off his weapon ?
    Made I larf!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

By the power of Google images reverse search:

A nymph passing the rifle

[Sydney Mail, 3 March 1900.]

This picture immediately jumps out as it oozes sexuality in every sense of the term. No skinny, anorexic, waif like, androgynous creature as seen today regaling the contemporary magazines. This is the 1900 version of a beauty - covered in the robes of a vestal virgin accentuating all her intimate curves, replete with aquiline nose - this young lass appears to be promising steamy romance to anyone in uniform who takes a rifle from her.
    Of course, the mythology is redolant. We see a sylvanian nymph or a lady of the lake passing the new sword, Henry Martini, rather than Exculiver. Whatever the call, it is up to the individual to read the story.

Who could resist the call of this siren?

The war was initially popular and seen as a romp in the park. A few brave souls might be killed but many will return as heroes. The popularity of the war waned after the first year as it became bogged down in relentless police and counter insurgency work which was never glamorous. No gallant charges, just burning houses and rounding up women and children for transport to concentration camps. The war was then unpopular and disappeared from the newspapers. So cartoons were employed.

(Australian Light Horse Studies)