Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm 08 users

7mm 08 users

Hello
    I am thinking about changing my .243 and would like to know more about the 7mm 08. I mainly shoot roe and muntjac, but want a rilfe that will shoot the odd fox up to reds and in the future boar. What are the pros and cons of this calibre and how will it perform on the small quarry in relation to meat damage?
    If I get one it would more than likely be a Sako 85, do you have any opinions on this?
    Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Thanks in advance.

7mm-08 is a good solid performer. It is hard hitting and will handle any species in the uk. Without getting into a ballistic debate, it can hold more down range energy than the .270, yet it is softer on recoil than the .270 and the .308. It is a short action, lending itself to being lighter to carry than long actions. If you reload, then there should be a good variety of heads to choose from as well.

Hope you don't mind all the questions. Yorks-- this site is "THE" WIKI question & answer site for shooters & stalkers.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I've had a 7-08 for about a year now, and can't see me swapping to another calibre. It does everything I want, and is very flat shooting. Meat damage has not been a problem. The only downside is finding factory ammunition. Federal Fusion is fairly common, but I've not found much else despite phoning about 7 or 8 different dealers...I'm happy to live with that, as I love the calibre.

I was thinking about getting a 7mm-08 in 1999, but got a 260 Rem instead. Just got my hands on my third 260 Rem, this time a Remington SA re-barrelled by RG Rifles.

http://www.rgrifles.com/index.html

Can't put my finger on it!, but it pleases me somewhat to see a blued action of quality mated to a stain less barrel.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yorks, a 7/08 would be a solid choice for your needs if you want to go as far as Boar. A 308 would work just as well and will be much easier fed if you don't hand load.

If you have a good quality 243, it might be as cheap to get it rebarreled as it would be to trade in and buy a new Sako 85.

If boar were not in the loop, I would say 260 also, Steve, stainless and blue really does work:

Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 02-04-2010 at 14:58.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

MMMNNnnnn! Yumminnits!

I shoot some roe with my 7mm 08 , i use Nosler ballistic tip 140 grain silver tips(moly coated) and yes if i hit them in the shoulders they are certainly a right off
    i certainly do not have much experiance in reloading or bullet choice but it is just a great calibre and i am very confident with it, which i feel makes a huge difference to both my performance and enjoyment. I shoot sako 75's in .243 and 7mm it is the 7mm i always reach for but on most of my perms there are red present also. You do not hear many people knock 7mm 08 calibre and i know it is becoming more popular.

Try it.

Calibres taking knocks, it's really just havi'n the Craic, as I'm sure you are aware!, if it's deer legal & goes bang, then it's the right calibre for the freezer.