Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing

Zeroing

Is it best to start zeroing from 100m with new scope and mounts or get closer so you can see fall of shot from each round, tried this morning and can't even get on target.
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

If you bore sight you should be able to get a shot on paper then all you need to do is to get a freind to help hold your rifle still on your aimimg point while you wind your retical to the bullet impact.

Ian.

I bore site manually at something in the distance then try one shot at 30-40 just to confirm it's in the right ballpark then shoot a group at 100 (or whatever distance you want to zero at) to confirm where the mean point of impact is then dial it in.

Bore sight at 100, then one shot at 40-50 yards to check roughly ok then adjust if necessary. Then shoot at 100, 200, 300 etc to map trajectory

zero at 50 yards or even 25 yards if necessary to get on paper.
    25 yds group should be about 1/2 or 1 "low depending on how high your scope is.
    then check at 100yds.
    you can waste a lot of ammo if you are not seeing where they are going

Had to crank my new zeiss up to full height to get on paper, will get a bore sight and double check im not being stupid with my positions etc.
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

Not to be pedantic but make sure you work in metres or yards. I zero at 25 metres, less to go wrong, then you can use a ballistic table e.g. Sako and Norma are both good and check the zero that you want from there. Importantly, eliminate errors and it's more straightforward than working at 100 metres straightaway. Double check at 100 after you have set it up. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by venator cervus View Post
    Not to be pedantic but make sure you work in metres or yards. I zero at 25 metres, less to go wrong, then you can use a ballistic table e.g. Sako and Norma are both good and check the zero that you want from there. Importantly, eliminate errors and it's more straightforward than working at 100 metres straightaway. Double check at 100 after you have set it up. Good luck.
    good advice and if possible use paper that is divided into either 1cm or 1 inch squares depending on what values your scope adjustments are in. This means you can easily see how many clicks you need to adjust rather than guessing and also if it is at the right distance (rangefinder comes in handy here) you can confirm very easily that the adjustments are accurate ie one click does actually equal 1cm @ 100m etc

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    zero at 50 yards or even 25 yards if necessary to get on paper.
    25 yds group should be about 1/2 or 1 "low depending on how high your scope is.
    then check at 100yds.
    you can waste a lot of ammo if you are not seeing where they are going
    This is how I do it.~Muir