New scope and mounts

MJR

Well i've bought a new rifle, Sauer 202 in 6.5 x 55 and now need to put a scope on. I use a vari x II, 3-9 x 40 on my .243 and i am very pleased with it but i'm wondering whether to step up in objective lens size to 50mm for the 6.5. BUT I also want to mount the scope as low as possible on the action so does anyone known the overall dia of a 50mm scope :confused: So I can check which mounts will keep the scope a slow as possible. Also I use the rifle on the range and probably put more rounds through it there than out stalking so was wondering about the 4-15 maginfication,what do you think :confused:

I am assuming you have a Leoupold on your 243 ?

I bought a new VXL Leoupold, the one with the crescent shape cut out of the front lens. Its a 50 objective and fits on ordinary mounts, so you do not need to buy high mounts. It is gassed with Argon and Krypton, and its a great scope, despite what others say about leoupold being not as good as the continental scopes, I would put it up against any Swarovski, Zeiss etc any day of the week.

I managed to get it from the States for just under £400, which is a big saving as they are about £600 plus over here.

All the best

Sikamalc

Hi SikaMalc

I was looking at a VXL but was worried that I would see a shadow from moderator in the bottom of the scope. Do you use a moddy with yours?

Best rgds

Thar

Yes Leoupold on the .243 and its very good. As Thar said do you see any obstruction with a mod on :confused: and if you don't have the mod on do you leave the front sight on the barrel and can you see that :confused:

I use two VX-L scopes one on a rifle with a moddy no probs and the other on a rifle with front iron sight no probs either. Both are mounted on low mounts.
Hope this helps.

Gerry

Yes no probs with a moddy on. I have mine mounted on my Ruger 25.06 with a moddy and cover, no problems. Swapped it from a Leoupold VarxII 3X9X40.The rifle has stainless mounts, just swapped scopes, easy peasy, fired about 6 shots, back on the money, :D

You will get a Butler Creek cap for the end, but not the objective end :cry: But I am sure some bright spark in the States will come up with one soon.

I have a Leoupold VarxII 3x9x40 on my new Tikka T3 Lite, which is the old scope off my old Wooden stock 270 now going to Finland. I will be getting a VXL for that as well, as soon as I can get back to the states, or get one shipped over by my friend.

These are great scopes, and as I have said before I have been using Leoupold and Burris on all my rifles to professionally manage deer and take many clients out for the last 25 years. Never had one problem with any of the scopes, and they have been to many different environments, including Africa and Finland. Temperatures down as low as Minus 23.

Good luck

Sikamalc

Thanks for the info' chaps, I might look at one again now I know that the moddy does not cause any problems. :)

Best rgds

Thar

Thanks Sikamalc, Just one more question - i've looked on Leoupold's site but can't find the info. Is the main tube on the VXL a 1" or 30mm :confused:

To be honest Iam not sure, but I think its 1". I cant measure it for you at this moment as I do not keep my firearms at my home, I have to many :)

VX-L

If you can get one from the USA you will save a fortune.

Freinds family work colleague etc.

Think my mates is a 30mm tube but would not bank on it. $650 from florida and its a 3-12 x56 i think.

Convert that and its a top scope for the money

300wsm, it is true that to my knowledge they have not come up with one for the objective, but I am sure it will be only a matter of time before someone does. The other end of the scope is easily covered with a Butler creek cap, I have one on my VXL.

I usually carry the rifle barrel down, and have used this scope on my 25.06 in Scotland and across England on all the species for the last two seasons. In all weathers, and in about the lowest light conditions on Sika that you would want to shoot in. I cannot fault it, and as I have said before, I would put it up against any continental scope, and still choose the Leoupold. :D IMHO they are great scopes and worth every penny with a life time gurantee.

300wsm said:
One drawback that I can see with the VXL is not being able to fit lens covers.
i know i do not hav one of these funny shaped scopes :lol: but butler creek do a lens cover that is a flexible rubber , maybe this could be modernised to fit just untill a proper cover is designed
just a thought
stone

You can buy what is called a bikini cap, I think this is what Stone is refering to, these are all rubber with rubber stretch straps, but as these scopes have quite a large shroud to the objective, it does seem to help in wet conditions.

hi sikamalc
the cap in question is a butler creek blizzard scope cover
these in the past were solid plastic with a flip cover but the ones i bought last saturday had a flexible rubber surround that fitted over the scope that were quite flexible and may do the job with a bit of glue and a should not affect the flip lid will try and post a picture of if before the week end
stone

Must admit that the lack of a cover for the objective is the only thing that puts me off the scope. I carry my rifle barrel up so would prefer a cap on it. I'm wondering if a cover with a rigid outer could be cut away and the flip cap have a cresent shape cut out of the bottom to make it fit. Think its possible :confused:

Chaps,

regarding tube size it depends which model you buy I think the ones with 50mm obj are 1" and the 56mm obj are 30mm.

Hope this helps.

Back