Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urban Roe Deer Immunocontraception Population Control - Yes or No?

Question Urban Roe Deer Immunocontraception Population Control - Yes or No?

I am a student of Greenwich University currently conducting a study on Urban Deer Immunocontraceptive Population Control. It is the purpose of my study not to irradicate culling, as i do understand the need for it, but to offer an alternative population control for wild urban Roe Deer in environments where culling by rifle is inappropriate, such as small urban woodlands, public parks, etc...

Would you, the stalking community, support and/or carry out an immunocontraceptive population control on Deer if it was in an environment unsuitable for the use of firearms?

Wasnt april fools yesterday

I would firstly attend to the construction of the the English language, or at least find the spellcheck facility, but if you are what you say you are, then define a place unsuitable for control of deer in the sense you describe.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    Andy

This is gonna be a tetchy subject indeed!.....as proven with the same situation with the wild boar!!!

this kind of research has been carried out in the states, perhaps you should look at what 's been done over there.
    Last edited by monarman; 02-04-2010 at 15:09.

I feel this may fall into the category"Non - thread"......... or more likely TROLL
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I believe the re-introduction of bow hunting would be the way forward for controling deer in the urban environment.

Deer Immunocontraceptive Population Control I believe is attempting to play god and meadling with nature and nearly always ends in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by STUDENTAndyRouse View Post
    I am a student of Greenwich University currently conducting a study on Urban Deer Immunocontraceptive Population Control. It is the purpose of my study not to irradicate culling, as i do understand the need for it, but to offer an alternative population control for wild urban Roe Deer in environments where culling by rifle is inappropriate, such as small urban woodlands, public parks, etc...

Would you, the stalking community, support and/or carry out an immunocontraceptive population control on Deer if it was in an environment unsuitable for the use of firearms?
    Andy, Have you contacted the Central Scientific Laboratories at Sandhutton about their attempts to do this in wild boar in the Forest of Dean?

I have, and have the replies. I have also talked to the Head Forester and some of the landowners affected by this disasterous failure. I would be interested in the reasons behind your questions?

What delivery method are you advocating?

Because it seems that your premise is that it is unsafe to shoot in urban areas, this would obviously preclude the police shooting in urban areas too. They seem to manage using high power rifles and expanding ammunition quite safely, at least in respect of the general public's safety. There are several firms that already do deer and vermin control in urban areas, seemingly quite safely.

Your's confusedly, ft
    Last edited by flytie; 02-04-2010 at 15:15. Reason: stupidity
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Maybe this guy would serve the wider community better by directing his educated self to eradicating TB in badgers.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post

Because it seems that your premise is that it is unsafe to shoot in urban areas, this would obviously preclude the police shooting in urban areas too. They seem to manage using high power rifles and expanding ammunition quite safely, at least in respect of the general public's safety. There are several firms that already do deer and vermin control in urban areas, seemingly quite safely.

Your's confusedly, ft
    It does not help when you have the FC Haed Ranger for the New Forest on breakfast TV saying that Urban Deer cannot be shot as it is far too dangerous.

It's been tried repeatedly in the US. It only works where you have a population that is within completely controlled boundaries i.e. fenced enclosure, a small island etc. Additionally the delivery of the contraceptive is problematic. If it's in feed then the delivery needs to be tightly controlled (and the carcases cannot be used) or it needs to be injected by either catching the deer or remote delivery (darting). All of these problematic issues add to the cost of the program and unless it's in a research environment the cost is very nearly always (99.9% of the time) prohibitive.

A much more sustainable and humane solution is to cull using baiting and weapons suited to the operating environment. These may be firearms using appropriate frangible bullets (no monometals!!!) or we could look at changing the law to allow bow use in certain circumstances. If you take a look at many of the bow wounding studies carried out in the states you will find rates of wounding that are low and comparable with those caused by firearms. A modern broadhead is a fearsome thing but it's lethal range is very low compared with any firearm ordnance.

There is a huge range of data from the US which can be used to compare the problems we have/are going to have in the uk.

If your request is genuine then by all means PM me and I can give you a good number of sources to set you on the right track.
    Last edited by zaitsev; 02-04-2010 at 15:23. Reason: ommission