Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shooting foxys on arable land ,golf courses etc.

shooting foxys on arable land ,golf courses etc.

Are we maybe doing more harm than good when we shoot foxys on arable land ,golf courses etc ie places where the foxys are maybe controlling other things .where there's no game birds or lambs etc to protect.Before any one says anything yes I shoot on golf courses and on arable land and yes I shoot foxys.

yes, they do a job like any animal in the chain. It's balance, if they are taking the rabbits of the golf course when you can't get there then foxy is keeping you employed?
    if they then breed because it is a affluent area for them, you then have to MANAGE them? as we MANAGE all the species
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

As KimH said your are managing the fox population in an area, the benefits to this are not just limited to domestic stock and game species, many of our native ground nesting bird benefit from a lower fox population.

There is many animals which benefit from proper management of foxes and other ground and avian predators.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Are we maybe doing more harm than good when we shoot foxys on arable land ,golf courses etc ie places where the foxys are maybe controlling other things .where there's no game birds or lambs etc to protect.Before any one says anything yes I shoot on golf courses and on arable land and yes I shoot foxys.
    I have shot a lot of foxes locally the last 3-4 years, as a result there are loads more wild pheasant's and the partridges have made an appearance....

Generally there are less rabbits around, however a night or 2 with the .22lr does make a dent in the area's which build up....

Foxing keeps you sharp, also a regular amount of rounds going on the cert...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

And foxes dig holes in golf courses...

I shoot foxes around a chicken farm and have made the mistake of taking a dominant dog fox that was near the farm but not attempting to get to the farm as far as we could tell. The next week the place was over-run with foxes, more fum but not the best action I have taken.
    Have another dominant dog there now so more careful about what I shoot.
    Life is all about a balance and why.
    In my case the balance is to let the dominant dog keep others away until he becomes a nuisance. He is more likely to be keeping rabbits down locally, doing me two favors.
    How's your end of the gene pool today?

The subject on ground nesting bird's it's all very well saying we're helping them by controling the foxys but personally think magpies ,crows,weasels do more damage to them than foxys do .actually seen partridges in field behind my house this week not seen any there in years.can't say if it's because I shoot the foxys there or their doesn't seem to be as many badgers around.shoot on a few golf courses seems to be mostly cubs that mess around digging on greens etc.was just curious whack them where you can when you can is my attitude to foxys.

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    I shoot foxes around a chicken farm and have made the mistake of taking a dominant dog fox that was near the farm but not attempting to get to the farm as far as we could tell. The next week the place was over-run with foxes, more fum but not the best action I have taken.
    Have another dominant dog there now so more careful about what I shoot.
    Life is all about a balance and why.
    In my case the balance is to let the dominant dog keep others away until he becomes a nuisance. He is more likely to be keeping rabbits down locally, doing me two favors.
    Yep shot the Dom dog and 6 come to the funeral !

I'd just like to say I shoot quite a lot in my area, and have been doing for several years! But each year there seems to be just as many as the last.

Paul McCartney now has two less on his land than he did earlier today, thanks to the marvels of calling them onto someone else's ground!