Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acid reflux

Acid reflux

I was speaking to my Doc the other day, he claimed that 1 in 4 people suffer from acid reflux.
    Ive had it for near 20 years, Its not pleasant. I have to take tablets everyday to keep the acid away.
    Do any other fellow members suffer from it and have you any remedies?

Cheers

Al

Yes 20 years now due to hiatus hernia! 30mg Lansoprazole keeps the burn at bay but a fiery curry does need managing!!

Im exactly the same, 30mg Lansoprazole. Double dose if I'm having a curry!!

Only for the last few years, hiatus hernia.

I take Omeprozole

I've been on Omeprazole for 7 years, it's a godsend.

30mg Lansoprazole 1+ hiatus hernia 1+ Such is life !!

Without wishing to be alarmist, if you don't have any obvious cause for your persistent acid reflux, such as a hiatus hernia, then please see your GP and ask for an endoscopy referral, rather than just taking antacids for prolonged periods. Aside from the possible negative side effects of drugs like Omeprazole, continuous heartburn, indigestion and acid reflux can often be a symptom of something more serious such as an ulcer or even stomach / oesophageal cancer.

Caught early these slow growing cancers can be perfectly treatable but sadly have much less happy outcomes when caught late - my father swigged antacids for 20 years without any medical consultation, right up until the point where he was diagnosed with the terminal oesophageal cancer that killed him 9 months later. His oncologist said he was likely to have had the tumour for 20 years and that the continuous acid reflux he'd been ignoring all that time was a classic symptom of the disease.

Adam.

That's cheered me up no end!

I've had a hiatus hernia for many years and take omeprazole which keeps it under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Without wishing to be alarmist, if you don't have any obvious cause for your persistent acid reflux, such as a hiatus hernia, then please see your GP and ask for an endoscopy referral, rather than just taking antacids for prolonged periods. Aside from the possible negative side effects of drugs like Omeprazole, continuous heartburn, indigestion and acid reflux can often be a symptom of something more serious such as an ulcer or even stomach / oesophageal cancer.

Caught early these slow growing cancers can be perfectly treatable but sadly have much less happy outcomes when caught late - my father swigged antacids for 20 years without any medical consultation, right up until the point where he was diagnosed with the terminal oesophageal cancer that killed him 9 months later. His oncologist said he was likely to have had the tumour for 20 years and that the continuous acid reflux he'd been ignoring all that time was a classic symptom of the disease.

Adam.

Spot on Adam, my dad bless him, ignored similar symptoms and we lost him at 55!

Ive had two "uppy downys" and keep an eye on things! A change a couple of years ago and another check resulted in a diagnosis of diverticulitis to add to the issue.

Watch out for the "irritable bowl syndrome" non diagnosis!

If if your in the slightest worried get up the quacks!

Don't over eat or over drink especially before bed. Lay off the coffee, fizzy drinks, and spicey food.

If the doctor demands an endoscopy, make sure its the oral one.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle