Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm rem mag bullet choice.

7mm rem mag bullet choice.

I have been using nosler 150grn bt's and i'm down to my last bullet,not been too happy with them because they are a bit of a meat mangler so decided to try and get some accubond's but tried a couple of local gunshops to see if they could get them in,but they haven't been arsed to even get back to me so left me wondering what else might be up to the job,so what are you other guy's with rem mags using?.

162 SST work where longer shots are expected but can be messy close up. I also use 140g barnes TSX when meat preservation is wanted. Lots of information on Nathan fosters site

7mm Remington Magnum

Go for a 140 grain Barnes TTSX. Lots of speed, very flat and not too much meat damage as they hold together very well. If you don't like that idea you need to go for one of the bonded bullets. Accubond has always been my favorite among these. The Nosler BT's fragment too much if you drive them at RM speeds. That's what causes the damage.
    So much to learn and so little time left

I've just started using Barnes 140 HPBT and am impressed, very accurate and less meat damage than the Hornady 139g SST I was using.
    TonyC

First question - what sort of shooting do you do? What sized animals and how far? Lots of guys back home (me included) use the 7mm Rem Mag for long range and so prefer something at least 160 grains. Many use and rate the 162 A-max (yes, I know not fit for use here ). SST is another popular option. These can be unpredictable / messy up close so some run 2 rounds - 160 accubond or similar for up to 200 and A-Max or such for further out. I couldn't be bothered with all that so just ran 160 Sierra btsp on reds. Worked well on everything I shot (from point blank to much further out) and cheap as chips.
    Just my 2 cents
    Hayden

I used my 7mm rem mag for 15 years all over europe but mainly at home on roe.
    The things you need to know about any magnum is.....
    Use a heavy bullet to keep the speed down.
    Use a bonded or limited expansion bullet.
    and try and avoid most plastic points.
    I used nosler partiions in 140-150gr
    speer grand slams 160gr
    RWS cone points in 162gr
    and trophy bonded in 175gr
    Never mangled any roe. Used BTips in 120, 150 and 160 they were aweful on roe destroying the front end.
    And for foxing well the speer 110gr TNT hollowpoint..........DO NOT USE ON DEER or edible quarry LOL

curious if anyone on here have experimented with the nosler long range accubond yet, supposed to overcome the 'short range' bullet blow up with the traditional accubond. their stated BC's are remarkable. I suspect if their marketing bumph is correct, the 168g (can't recall if that's their 7mm weight in the '60's) would be a cracking all round, round, from close to very long range shots on whatever target you feel right with..see what I did there...

Nosler seems to market ABLR 'eliminating the problem of being “too close” often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets' but as I read it means compared to other makes, not other Nosler bullets.

The very limited reports I've heard about ABLR range is they expand more violently at close range than regular AB.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    Nosler seems to market ABLR 'eliminating the problem of being “too close” often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets' but as I read it means compared to other makes, not other Nosler bullets.

The very limited reports I've heard about ABLR range is they expand more violently at close range than regular AB.
    well that sounds good then, that was the problem with the accubond, pinholing at close range. The partition is excellent, excellent excellent in 160g, but, tarnished by rubbish BC unfortunately, so good at 'hunting ranges', but struggles when asked to stretch its legs a bit further so to speak

Thanks guys for the replies,it's pretty much my long range choice for shooting across valleys down here so range would normally be 200-300 yds that's not to say i don't shoot closer with it but that's the range i'm looking at and mostly roe deer,i'll have see what i can find locally but obviously bonded core or solid copper looks like my best bet then and a bit heavier the better,i did think about downloading it but that would really defeat the point in having it i suppose.