Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common sence or IQ test

Common sence or IQ test

After reading some of the recent posts, before a firearms licence is issued, should the police insist on a IQ test.

You don't need to be particularly clever to safely use a firearm, they're not complicated things. Also, IQ tests measure a very limited range of skills, if any. They mostly measure how good you are at doing IQ tests. More importantly, if you could measure intelligence and could then have regulations that differ according to an innate quality that just depends on accidents of birth, you'd be demolishing the fundamental assumption that we are all equal before the law and born with equal rights.

So that's no.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    After reading some of the recent posts, before a firearms licence is issued, should the police insist on a IQ test.
    Maybe not an IQ test, but I could understand if a relatively straight forward multiple choice safety questionnaire was filled in at the interview stage of the initial grant....

Then it comes back to the question of a mandatory test, the successful completion of which authorises the applicant to buy and use firearms.

well getting the application forms filled correctly
    and submitted successfully is the first hurdle.

but definitely need a hunter safety as in U.S.A.

Hi IQ does not necessarily equal good common sense
    and practical ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Then it comes back to the question of a mandatory test, the successful completion of which authorises the applicant to buy and use firearms.
    I guess so, I've nothing against some basic form of test (as long as it's of a basic level, so as not to be a barrier to novices)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

I think an eye test, as people seem want to shoot a Muntjac or Roe with a 30-06 @ less than a 100 yards...

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Sense!! So lets hope it's not a spelling test.

IQ tests only intelligence, not basic commonsense, honesty and integrity, I rather suspect that someone as devious and manipulative as Thomas Hamilton would pass such a test but many ordinary decent country folk wouldn't.

That said I support the idea of shooting community led mandatory testing before the grant of an FAC/SGC. At our rifle club you have to pass basic safety and competent tests before becoming a full member.

atb Tim

SD Regular
    It's not IQ we need to test, it's behaviour.

The check is the likelihood of the candidate being able to follow sensible process/best practice. The practices themselves can be learned. It's why the Police rely on record and character witness (plus interview) as a means of assessing 'suitability'.
    I'm not aware of using smelling or conting as primary decision functions when pulling the trigger........
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........