Common sence or IQ test

Well, I did time with Vickers Engineering back in the 70’s and Cordwainers College in the 90's so feel qualified to deploy a mallet with some finesse.

May I retain my FAC please??

K

well getting the application forms filled correctly
and submitted successfully is the first hurdle.

but definitely need a hunter safety as in U.S.A.

Hi IQ does not necessarily equal good common sense
and practical ability.

At present I have a temp licence in NZ, when I do my full licence, we will sit a test on firearms safety

I bet all the people going on about tests wouldn't have mentioned it when they first started shooting

I bet all the people going on about tests wouldn't have mentioned it when they first started shooting

I think that you are probably right, but the world has changed a great deal since I first got a SGC in the 1970's. Now almost every activity seems to be regulated with certificates of competence etc.

From the shooting point of view it may be better if we can self-regulate rather than have something imposed by outsiders who are covertly trying to curtail our sport, the Lead Ammunition Group is a good example of what happens when they are involved.

atb Tim

Whilst serving in the Military in Germany I did a lot of fishing, to fish in Germany as British Military all I had to do was trot down to the local town hall and get a licence issued. The German locals however have to do a course, pass a test ect. Now if they have to do this for fishing I presume they must have something of a similar nature for shooting. I am against the Nanny state, but perhaps there should be some type of basic mandatory test. Both the shooting clubs I am a range officer with have a training regime in place. This is at club level and club run, not laid down by government. This however does not encompass the lone stalker ect, just people joining the clubs. I would not want this put in place as a cash cow for BDS, BASC ect. I know that there is a voluntary, probably turning to compulsory scheme in place where a stalker will either have to hold DSC1 or be accompanied by someone who does hold DSC1.

I think it's worrying that some assume it's ok to posses and use firearms without any kind of formal firearms awareness training or mentoring - I've stalked with a couple of guys (not anymore) who were quite happy to traverse fairly awkward terrain without keeping their rounds under the bolt.

There seems to be an assumption with some that correct handling SOP's are in our DNA - they are most definitely not. I've even found of late that some driven safety briefs have almost turned into a standup routine.

We don't need outside bodies enforcing this - we used to enforce (and look out for) each other - this still is the case mostly but I agree that some questions that turn up on here that trouble me deeply, especially the ones involving climbing ladders / traversing gates and fences etc - we're hunting, not on patrol in Helmand!

I was thinking the same...:rofl: people in glass houses!

Yeah. I was waiting for someone to hit on that.

BE careful wanting a "test" to qualify one for firearms ownership. You will quickly find that none of you lives up to some lofty government standard. Taking a pill so that you can sleep?? UNSTABLE. Seeing a psychologist? UNSTABLE. Got arrested for a pub fight in 1978 when you were 19 years old?? UNSTABLE!

Think about it.~Muir

Yeah. I was waiting for someone to hit on that.

BE careful wanting a "test" to qualify one for firearms ownership. You will quickly find that none of you lives up to some lofty government standard. Taking a pill so that you can sleep?? UNSTABLE. Seeing a psychologist? UNSTABLE. Got arrested for a pub fight in 1978 when you were 19 years old?? UNSTABLE!

Think about it.~Muir

We have all of the above checked already...

When I was just starting out in various fieldsports as a complete novice, (and I'm talking age in single figures now) I learned EVERYTHING I know from my father. Believe me I always had to learn to 'walk before I could run!' This began with fishing, air rifles and then progressed to shotguns. I then moved on to FAC, and my father ended up following in my footsteps so to speak. Long and short of it is, my father would only be granted his FAC if I agreed to be HIS 'mentor'!
I know it's slightly off-theme, but can anyone else see the sense in that?
I suppose my point is some tests aren't worth the paper they are written on, but when the hoops are placed in front of you to reach your chosen goal sometimes you just have to jump through them.

At present I have a temp licence in NZ, when I do my full licence, we will sit a test on firearms safety

Hi Taff. Hope you are settling in up North mate.
I think you will get a bit of a surprise when you sit your FAL test here. The MSC who usually run the courses seem to operate a "no fail" policy from what I have seen and heard. Too easy in my humble opinion.

I think that it should be MANDATORY to have at least DSC 1 and that BEFORE the applicant is even allowed to submit an application for a stalking rifle and that if it is then issued that stalking should only be allowed with accompanied mentoring until the first renewal.

And that additionally the applicant MUST also have re-taken and re-passed the DSC 1 Shooting Test within three months of purchasing it for each individual weapon that he requested to be authorised to purchase.

Then at which time the license is due to be renewed (again BEFORE the renewal application is made) that the licence holder must have obtained a DSC 2 AND demonstrated by taking at second DSC 1 Shooting Test for each weapon that he holds that he/she still remains, after the five year life of the FAC competent in its use.

Because, let me tell you, it is just far too easy for people to just go out and get FACs for dangerous weapons...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, DSC, DSC, BDS, BDS etc., etc..

Last edited:
I was only really thinking about some of the dum questions that get asked on here, which made me wonder if some people should have a gun.

Back