Patrol or Landcruiser

Briarquest

Hi,
later this year I am going to get rid of my van and get an older 4 wheel drive. At 6'7" I am very limited by the 4x4's I can fit into comfortably.

Has anoyone driven both these vehicles, if so which has the most room ans I can't really find them both local to sit in.

Cheers

Ian

land cruser is good but thirsty , my dad had 1 and he is 6ft 4 ,depending what you want it for , a shooting wagon of a family car / shooting wagon ! im the same height and drive a king cab ford ranger , it does every thing i want it to do and i find it perfectly comfortable on a run !

im even driving the old bus to inverness on honey moon with the mrs as co- pilot , GOD HELP ME ! :doh:

cheers lee

Hi,
thanks, its not one I had considered. I have just read the review on Parkers guide that says the seat and steering wheel are not height adjustable. Does this cause any problems?

Regards

Ian

Hi,
thanks, its not one I had considered. I have just read the review on Parkers guide that says the seat and steering wheel are not height adjustable. Does this cause any problems?

Ian

We have a landcruiser (W reg) - I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'1" (although she'll swear she's 5'2"). We both find the Landcruiser easy to drive.

willie_gunn

I run a 4.2 diesel Landcruiser, i've had it for 3 years and done 95k troble free miles! I really rate it.
They can be thirsty just knocking around but will return good mpg on a run. I would recommend it to anyone.
I am 6' 2'' and never had any issues.
If buying an older one i would make sure it had been well serviced as repairs could turn expensive!!
If you are ever in the Leicester area you are welcome to come and try mine!!

what type of 'cruiser? I've had a lot fo time with 40s (utes/troopys), 60s (wagon) and 70s (utes) and they are leagues ahead of landrovers (in EVERY aspect). I'm 6', they were no problem and the seats could go way back. Steering wheels weren't adjustable though. Are you thinking of a 60, 80 or 100? I think 60s are fantastic vehicles, and the 2H (straight 6 4L diesel) is IMO the best 4x4 motor ever made period - a very low stressed high milage engine (expect 500k km+ before doing rings/bearings. I've heard of them doing over 1m km without rebuilds). The 1HZ (4.2 diesel) found in the 80s and 100s is very good too, but has a timing belt and isn't AS robust but still wipes the floor with any past of present OR offerings. More grunt than the 2H.

I've heard very good things about the TD42 (Nissan 4.2L straight 6 diesel) but no experience with them.

what type of 'cruiser? I've had a lot fo time with 40s (utes/troopys), 60s (wagon) and 70s (utes) and they are leagues ahead of landrovers (in EVERY aspect). I'm 6', they were no problem and the seats could go way back. Steering wheels weren't adjustable though. Are you thinking of a 60, 80 or 100? I think 60s are fantastic vehicles, and the 2H (straight 6 4L diesel) is IMO the best 4x4 motor ever made period - a very low stressed high milage engine (expect 500k km+ before doing rings/bearings. I've heard of them doing over 1m km without rebuilds). The 1HZ (4.2 diesel) found in the 80s and 100s is very good too, but has a timing belt and isn't AS robust but still wipes the floor with any past of present OR offerings. More grunt than the 2H.

I've heard very good things about the TD42 (Nissan 4.2L straight 6 diesel) but no experience with them.

bloody hel harry thats a gob full !
lol

bloody hel harry thats a gob full !
lol
yeah and probably what he either already knows or doesn't care about - but I'm quite passionate when it comes to the old cruiser/patrol/LR debate! Love the old ones...
You got those new tyres on yet?

Wow,
you lost me there :) Been to the Ford garage this morning and can't fit in the Ranger. My wifes VW Golf has more room in it.

Ian

Wow,
you lost me there :) Been to the Ford garage this morning and can't fit in the Ranger. My wifes VW Golf has more room in it.

Ian

thats a bugger , is that a new ranger or second hand ? mines a 54 plate and got sheds load of room .

cheers

Hi,
it was a brand new one. I could have driven it but I would not be comfortable. I carry an injury to my right hip and as such I need to be able to move my right leg around. The control panel built into the door jammed my leg against the steering wheel.

Ian

My shooting pal is 6ft 5 and has tried 4 cars in the last 2 years and now tells me he can drive in comfort, with headroom.

He has bought a JEEP.

Brianm

My old man is 6ft 8", and has had a landcruiser in the past and loved it, my brother has just got a Patrol and the old man recons there is no room.

I'd go Landcruiser, no reason, I just like them

I've owned both.

The cruiser has the extra frills and definately has the edge when driving on the road - the patrol chassis and suspension just wallows a bit more.

However once off-road, it's definately the patrol for me. It's a huge beast with an appetite to match but it is rarely out of its depth.

I now drive a VW Touareg. Try one - you will be pleasantly surprised just how much room there is up-front.

I would go defender. But thats just me :). Out of thoose two I'd plump for a Toyota, they just keep going.

I would however choose a jeep. THe old man is 6'4 and recons the driving position is the comfiest he has come across, Im 6'1 and I like it too.

Sam

Hi,
I like the Jeeps but they do get slated on the servicing intervals and cost of spare parts. But then again, I bet they are no more expensive than a Toyota. Oh I wish I was a bit shorter and thinner :)

Ian

Last edited:
Ian

I was driving my Landcruiser this morning and noticed it has got a height (rake) adjustable steering wheel, though the seat is not.

It's that comfortable off road that I didn't notice the tree until I reversed into it :oops: Finnbear, another one for your thread on embarassing car moments.....

willie_gunn

BQ,
I bought a SWB landcruiser auto 3.0TDI import, electric everthing,"sunroof" very important.
Owned it for 3 MOT'S, never had a thing done to it, no rust,built like a tank one of the best off road vehicles I have driven.
25mpg around town 30ish on a run,loads of power and reliable.
Sold it becuase of the fuel costs on Arran when fuel was at a premiun of £1.60 ltre,Cost me £115 to fill it on one occasion..
I now regret ever selling it and would buy it back in a flash...
I now run a jeep cherokee which is not even in the same league...

regards
griff

Ill stick with my V8 3.9 Rangie Classic LPG converted with power to spare twin tanks will go where others only think about going:D
Bit expensive if I have to run it on petrol mind at 12 to the gallon which is rare unless I have to

I've had both. There is nothing between them comfort or space wise, but I'm only 5'8". Patrol lwb was way thirstier at 20mpg compared to 26 about town and 36 on long runs for the 'cruiser. Patrol will tow 3.5 tonnes, cruiser limited to 3 tonnes. On the right tyres (BFG Allterrains) both will go 99% of the places a Landy will go. Cruiser way easier to park and will fit into high rise car parks, Patrol not so good due to longer wheelbase. Toyota feels like it has plenty of power while the patrol feels a little under powered especially when towing full weight. Both are superb in the snow. Despite both my wife and I having 'cruisers I do have a hankering to go back to the beast that is a Patrol, it just had a presence that the ten-a-penny cruiser lacks.

Back