Thread: Fallow deer on my permission

Fallow deer on my permission

Need a bit of advice
    I have noticed one or two Fallow bucks on my ground
    mainly when out foxing with the lamp,
    last night just at dusk I spotted a good Fallow buck never seen any Doe's
    But what I want to know is there a something I could do to encourage Fallow, to build up numbers.
    I have several Roe and a few Munties.
    Would licks work and if so what kind or should I put food down, what works best..?
    Any advice much appreciated
    Tikka595

Fallow are mainly nocturnally transient 'Bulk Feeders' that will travel long distances at night to where the best food is. They then travel back to cover (or at least somewhere safe) by first light. Unless you have some decent woodland or cover, they are unlikely to remain there during daylight hours. Also - would the landowner appreciate you attracting a very crop damaging species onto his ground? First light might be your best option if you can intercept them on their way home.
    MS

I would recommend not shooting them, that tends to discourage the build up of numbers I have found.

I also agree with the points above and would add that in my experience Roe do not like large numbers of Fallow. You may find that you get a build up of one species and a decline in the other.

Fallow bucks, either singly or in bachelor groups, often take up residence some way from the does outside the rut, often in small outlying woods away from the main forest blocks. They can also become virtually nocturnal in areas where they are pressured and if there's too much pressure, disturbance or shooting, they'll just move out. They will move back in to the main areas for the rut but then disappear again.

Leaving the bucks is therefore unlikely to attract does if they're not already in the area.
    Last edited by paul k; 07-04-2015 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Fallow are mainly nocturnally transient 'Bulk Feeders' that will travel long distances at night to where the best food is. They then travel back to cover (or at least somewhere safe) by first light. Unless you have some decent woodland or cover, they are unlikely to remain there during daylight hours. Also - would the landowner appreciate you attracting a very crop damaging species onto his ground? First light might be your best option if you can intercept them on their way home.
    MS
    Very good advice from MS. A few years ago my pal and I were shooting significant numbers of Fallow that were doing a lot of damage to crops.

The area was in Suffolk and the land was situated between a large commercial, thicket stage, block of forest and the sea. The Fallow could be feeding anything from a couple of fields away to several miles, so reconnoitring the surrounding area and points of entry to the forest was crucial to success.

The only way to get on terms with the Fallow was to intercept them on their way back to the forest. We found that we needed to be in position well before first light so that we were ready to shoot as soon as the dawn light permitted. Often, it was all over in half an hour and once they had entered the forest, they would not be seen again until dark.

We did bag a few at last light but sometimes none seen as they waited until after dark to emerge.

As for attracting Fallow, I wouldn't know how to achieve that reliably. Unless your landowner gives approval, an attempt could lose the stalking. So tread with caution.

As for the effect on Roe numbers, on all the areas that I have had experience of; if there were large numbers of Fallow, then the Roe were few and far between.

Good luck.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

At the last estate I keepered, the stalking syndicate wouldn't believe it was large numbers of Fallow damaging our maize. So I took one guy lamping on the quad bike and opened his eyes! We rode down a tramline flanked by 30 Fallow on either side and later bumped into two humongous bucks that they never knew existed (they stalked lots of ground in the area).
    It took tactics as described above with early morning ambushes on the return route to get one or two but they just evacuated an hour earlier and carried on with their destruction.

In four years here, I've seen just 1 Fallow in daylight and 3 with the lamp and long may it continue!!!

Thanks for the comments guys
    i plan to find out where the Fallow are coming from and will then try the ambush approach before first light.
    not keen on losing my Roe deer in the area so don't plan to encourage the Fallow after all
    thanks for the tips boys...��
    Tikka595

I bumped 2 large bucks out lamping just like you....they kept browsing one particular hedge as it was neatly clipped off...spent many times on dusk and a couple of mornings trying to whack one....I knocked it on the head going out looking for them deciding one day I might come across a chance shot.

There is also a small group moving around as the prints are a lot smaller, simple fact is they come out well after dark and drift off in the early hours of the morning.

In truth they are in the wrong area to get a start, there are some nice woods for them to hold up in but they seem to be like cats.....nice big garden to play in but they just have to cross the road lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I guess there will be a few guys out there that will think there are no Fallow on their ground,
    like myself,
    until I clocked them in the lamp...
    good luck with catching up with yours Tim.243....
    Cheers Tikka595..