Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for riflesmiths

Question for riflesmiths

I'm looking for some good reading matter on gunsmithing. Is there any literature in particular that is good? I'd like to teach myself and obtain the bare necessities equipment wise and see where it leads. I like the idea of being able to build my own rifles some day in the near future.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Rory

Check out Lathes the rest is trial and error, to some degree, however learning the basics of measuring, feeds and speeds is essential. As for the actual rifle work it is simple engineering, but I know where you are because I've been there.

Plenty of good second hand lathes out there too but that's only the start, tooling etc is a whole new chapter.

Rgds

That's great, Jager. Thanks. Lots to read there. I'll keep the questions coming..

Quote Originally Posted by takbok View Post
    That's great, Jager. Thanks. Lots to read there. I'll keep the questions coming..
    It's a good site, quite a few books to be had at reasonable cost but for me it was very much more hands on and plenty of swear words...it can be infuriating even when you follows the rules.

Check, double check and check again.

I think I have a couple of books you could borrow if you get stuck.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I'm quite good at reading stuff thoroughly but there's no substitute for hands on. It's a dream at the moment, but will hopefully be moving house shortly and when settled can start gathering equipment as funds allow. The desire to be my own boss should give me the drive to get there! Thanks again - much appreciated. Rory

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I'm quite good at reading stuff thoroughly but there's no substitute for hands on. It's a dream at the moment, but will hopefully be moving house shortly and when settled can start gathering equipment as funds allow. The desire to be my own boss should give me the drive to get there! Thanks again - much appreciated. Rory
    LOL, we once had a sniper instructor with phenominal book knowledge. He was described as "being able to talk you through brain surgery but don't let him near a screwdriver"

SS

And also be prepared to be continually told "You get what you pay for" or in laymans terms "feck I've paid way over the odds and had my pants pulled down" but I need to justify it by saying so.

Depends on what you want to do. I found 'Gunsmith Kinks' Vols 1-4 from Brownells very handy for checkering, bluing and general workshop hints and tips.

Good on ya takbok if ya got a dream follow it up, ya here for a short time so make the most of life, you have the same arms and legs as any other able bodied person so ya no different to them.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Thanks, guys.