DSC1 Only Stalking on FCS lease - Important

Paul at Fechan

Really important Information for Forestry Commission DSC1 Only Stalkers - Policy Notice for leases in Scotland....
There have been several people online in other groups and forums who are currently stalkers on FC leases in Scotland who have said they have been and can stalk alone with DSC1 only without any problems. This is in breach of section 5.2.4 - where an individual holding only a DSC level 1 must be accompanied by someone with a DSC level 2. This will be written into all lease agreements for Scotland and is a national standard. If you or the lease holder/syndicate leader aren't aware of this then they need to be as breach of the lease agreements can result in a syndicate being suspended. This is not a discussion or argument as this information is direct from FCS in an email today to clarify the position across Scotland for DSC1 only stalkers on FCS leases.

Make sure if you're in an FC syndicate you follow the rules!

I suppose this will force the issue of whether you need to do it or not for some people?

Thanks for heads up ;)

its been like that for about 4 years i thought you only had 12 month with level 1 then had to have level 2 after that or thats what they were trying to do
tom

So, if you have level 1 and are registered for level 2 , you can join an FC syndicate but must pass level 2 within a year of joining the syndicate to remain a member of it?

Last edited:
yes thats the way i read it and whilst on the ground you should be accompanied by someone with level2 at all times

A guy I know was in this position, but they other syndicate members were not allowed to accompany him, it had to be the FC Ranger and he had to pay him each time!

I have an FC Deer Control License as they are now called. All members must be named and DSC2 from this year.

I know there's a lot of debate about the need for DSC2 but in these litigious times the land owner is covering there arse so far as reasonably practicable.

sounds good practice to me, have you got a link paul at fechan as to where you can download and print off these new details please, thanks Dean

I had these details in a direct email to confirm the set conditions for all of Scotland

These are the same rules as the FC apply in England, I cant see why being across the border will make one jot of difference, if on FC permission you have to have DSC2 after 1 yr, and be registered for it to even be considered. I was not allowed to carry a firearm whilst DSC1 and had to finish DSC2 elsewhere before I could shoot.

I have an FC Deer Control License as they are now called. All members must be named and DSC2 from this year.

I know there's a lot of debate about the need for DSC2 but in these litigious times the land owner is covering there arse so far as reasonably practicable.

Is there any evidence that it has any bearing in law, you may have a driving licence but it is no defence in a accident, some of the latest H&S cases have proved negligence by the employer even Though staff have had training, and even a case of a tree surgeon beating the H&S in court to proving that his experiance out trumpeted the required CS Certs .

Back