Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do many folk take tactical rifles stalking?

Do many folk take tactical rifles stalking?

Do many folk take tactical rifles stalking? Just be interested to know?

Thank you in advance John

Quote Originally Posted by john444334 View Post

What do you mean by a tactical rifle? If you mean straight, heavy, stocks with vertical pistol grips and fat fore-end stocks... Big DBMs and all that.

I don't see why I would want to? I think tactical type stocks with fat vertical pistol grips are piss poor for off-hand shots. Most people don't like fat fore-end stocks for off-hand shots, either. These stocks are poor for anything but relatively well supported positions where you can take some time to aim.

Same with big DBMs. They just protrude from the stock and limit your options for forehand positioning. I guess in fast-paced driven hunts you could benefit from a high cap DBM, but on a stalk?

Edit: typo

Yep, I've taken both TRG's out at some point in time, off hand, simple, use sticks. Though to be fair, 17+lbs of rifle is a bit much to take out for the day, but, they do the same job as any other deer legal rifle
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Ah sorry forgot to answer the question: no I do not. The reasons being what I said in my previous posts. The things that make a tactical rifle good for, well, tactical stuff make it a poor general hunting rifle.

Taking a tactical type rifle for shooting from an elevated blind or doing a long range poke at a pig in a field or shooting a moose across a cut area in the forest? Yes I would and yes I do.

i use heavy barrel rem 700, tikka t3 super varmint (heavy barrel) and ar-15 as my stalking rifles.
    I don't expect the stalker to carry them. I carry them myself as they are all quite heavy.

I would only take a rifle stalking that I felt confident with regardless of weight etc

I occasionally use a "tactical" rifle for stalking. It's a gun I've competed with in Civilian Service Rifle which involves positional shooting, including offhand.

Isn't my first choice but certainly gets the job done, like any appropriate calibre rifle which you can shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by john444334 View Post

Do you mean like the one on the left?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	55251

Remember that both Win and Rem and others have provided rifles for snipers etc.I have an BSA sporter that started life as a P14. I am just curious as to where the line is drawn so to speak?

I love using my Tikka T3 Tactical rifle in 308. Must have taken about 90 percent of. My deer with it. Nice short barrel and easily swings into place when required. Great In woodland. Have also used my Barrett 98b in 338 lapua on goats and a couple of deer.

Yep but i also use a brno zkk .270

Name:	rps20150412_225057.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	55286

Name:	rps20150412_225326.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	55287
    .22lr, .22lr .222, .223, .243, .270, .308 , 12g fac, 12g, 12g, 12g, 12g
    and still growing.....

My tactical rifle weighs 7.7lbs without scope, I happily hunt with it. Only once shot a running deer off-hand at ~120 yds with it. Shot plenty standing deer offhand with the rifle however I have better tools for that discipline. Prone for the slightly longer shot the lightweight tactical is fantastic.
    edi