Thread: .22 hornet brass life

.22 hornet brass life

hi chaps im looking to get myself a .22 hornet and to reload for it and i was just wondering how many reloads they were getting out of a case as ive seen it noted that due to the thickness of the brass only being very thin that after only a few reloads cases were splitting?

Not my experience but then I only resize the first 4mm of neck. The depth bullet is seated. I also use RWS cases.

K

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    hi chaps im looking to get myself a .22 hornet and to reload for it and i was just wondering how many reloads they were getting out of a case as ive seen it noted that due to the thickness of the brass only being very thin that after only a few reloads cases were splitting?
    buddy of mines reloads for it in northern Ireland, hes only getting 3 or 4 firings then the necks split, factor in buying brass if your gonna reload the hornet.

I use a Lee Collet die which works brass minimally. I also flare the case mouths with a Lee Universal Expander. This allows the bullet to seat straight into the case -not bulge out the neck in spots as you sometimes see in Hornet reloads. I also use Lil Gun with is a low pressure powder. The results are that i have NEVER had a split neck and get 8-10 loadings before they work harden and I toss them. I even trim and crimp at every loading. I've never lost a case.~Muir

Thanks chaps as i say im seriously considering a hornet as a cheap little vermin/close range fox gun but im still not sure if the hornet is a better choice over the .222 or maybe even a .22wmr and theres a lot to consider so thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    Thanks chaps as i say im seriously considering a hornet as a cheap little vermin/close range fox gun but im still not sure if the hornet is a better choice over the .222 or maybe even a .22wmr and theres a lot to consider so thanks for your help
    as it happens I recently got a hornet with some used brass
    some exhibits the bulges described above

I have a .222 and won't ever be without one
    I also have a WMR and really like that for small stuff and foxes stupid enough to come within a 100ish yards

hornet sits smack in between the two IMO

what are you getting it for (predominate target quarry)?

I'd agree with Bewsher on where the hornet sits, it sits neatly between WMR and .222/.223.

If you're shooting in volume then the advantage of the hornet is one lb of lil gun will load over 500 rounds and you can certainly reload for pretty close to the cost of WMR ammo but with a lot more bang and versatility for your buck. I had a WMR slot and changed it for .22H and have not regretted it one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what are you getting it for (predominate target quarry)?
    it will be used mainly as a general vermin rifle crows magpies ect and also for a close range foxing rifle on smaller permissions where i walk around with the lamp

I love Hornet.
    ....But .222 might be a better option, especially if you desire to ever run heavier bullets.~Muir

I treat my brass the same way as Muir, I use a different expander, but still do the rest of it every time.
    I cannot count the reloads this batch of cases has been through, but it's closer to 30 than 20
    I have annealed the cases twice so far, never had a split and primer pockets still nice and tight.
    Brass of choice is PPU.

Neil.