Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque wrench

Torque wrench

I've been looking at getting a torque wrench..fed up guessing what torque to set on screws etc.
    One I found on the Argos site says "age restricted item, over 18 only"

Anyone got any recommendations?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post

Why! Sounds like they have a screw loose , but that can't be right they sell torque wrenches after all.

I've been looking at getting a torque wrench..fed up guessing what torque to set on screws etc.

Anyone got any recommendations?.
    I am over 18 so I could get it for you if you like…

When I were a lad I made one at school for my Morris Minor engine rebuild. Coincidently I happened to find it in the bottom of my Father's tool box just yesterday. I seem to remember you have queried the calibration of my equipment in the past…this one was done by holding the 1/2" square drive in the vice and suspending different weights from the gym cupboard by a piece of wire 1 foot from the centre of the drive.

Other than the above my current torque wrench is a 3/8" drive one by Snap-on and seems to work very nicely, or are you looking for a gun screw setting tool?

Alan

I have a Wheeler FAT wrench for the very occasional times I need to tighten up screws etc. Not the best, but it works for me.
    Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench: Amazon.co.uk: Sports Outdoors

I certainly didn't pay 100 for mine!

I got mine from here and use it a fair bit swapping scopes around and cleaning rifles, I have the cheaper wrench but works well Torque Wrenches Archives - Optics Warehouse

I don't seem to get asked for proof of age anymore but thanks for the offer Alan and I like the diy torque tool idea, nothing wrong with that.

I've narrowed it down to the top two here...

You searched for torque wrench - Optics Warehouse

I can't see any advantage on the "fat" wrench over the GPI for the money...or am I missing something?

It's mainly for setting screws on scope mounts and bases so the next question is...what torque do these generally need ?
    Last edited by private fraser; 12-04-2015 at 16:49.

I don't seem to get asked for proof of age anymore but thanks for the offer Alan and I like the diy torque tool idea, nothing wrong with that.

I've narrowed it down to the top two here...

You searched for torque wrench - Optics Warehouse

I can't see any advantage on the "fat" wrench over the GPI for the money...or am I missing something?

It's mainly for setting screws on scope mounts and bases so the next question is...what torque do these generally need ?
    from the description of the Warne device from the Optics Warehouse lnk...

The Warne T-15 Driver Torque Wrench was built for Warne by California Torque Products. The Warne TW1 allows the user to precisely tighten the Torx style screws to Warne’s recommended torque setting of 25in/lb. The T-15’s easy to use and break away design lets the operator know when the proper torque has been reached. Designed for both bases and rings, this unit is a must have when installing or re-stalling Warne mounting systems.

I couldn't see know difference between the both of them when I went there, the bloke in the shop reckon they where made in the same place

Try a decent bike shop, any bike using carbon parts need a torque tool to set screws without crushing.
    Topeak Combo Torq Wrench Set 3-12 Nm | Evans Cycles