Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 hornet advice

.22 hornet advice

basicaly im looking to replace my .17hmr with somthing with a bit more punch i already have a .22lr and a .243 both of which im very happy with and am not looking to change either. the new rifle would be used for longer range vermin out to 150-200yrds and for short range foxing. i know the hornet isnt the most popular choice but those who have one seem to love them and i like the idea of having one but is what im trying to do with the rifle really going to be easily achivable with basic reloading gear and a basic knowledge of reloading or would i be better steping up to a .222 or even a .223 which to be honest i dont really want to do as i think for the cost of it all i might just as well use my .243, over to you chaps and feel free to be as brutaly honest as you like

depends how many rounds your gonna be putting down it. For the price of a new rifle scope moddy ammo and all the extra reloading stuff would you not be better off just using your .243 which is probably all you need and more?

Unless you you really fancy a new rifle and kit. In which case ignore my comment ;-)

cheers

ks
    Stealthy, like a giraffe on roller-skates....

I would say .223 Rem is your friend on this.

Largest range of components and loads, more rifle choice, more factory ammo. Also deer legal for the small species. (.222 Rem almost as good)

In terms of rifle choice though, could I recommend the CZ527 series. Cracking "proper" little rifles.
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

Either the 17 or 22 Hornet would fit nicely between the two you have already. I would agree the 223 is good but in truth it is still fairly close to the 243. The 17 Hornet is a very good close range (say150yds) fox rifle but is not the easiest to reload.
    The 22 Hornet is good for foxes out to about 175 yds. and once mastered is easy to load for, and cheap. There are plenty on here who will give advice on reloading this round and it really is a very nice calibre to shoot. I have a Weihrauch and it's excellent.

I was in a similar position to you recently, wanting to fill the gap between a .22lr and a .220 swift primarily as a sub 150 yard fox rifle for use on our smallholding. I initially applied for a .17 rem as I liked the ballistics but at the time couldn't find one so after a bit of research, I changed to the hornet and as luck would have it, a brno fox outfit came up 5 miles down the road. I haven't had much trigger time as yet but initially, I'm really pleased with it. Cz/ brno seem to be the ones to go for (there was one in the classified ads). Maybe also consider a .222 or a .204 but you won't be disappointed with the little hornet.

Just make sure you buy the right Hornet.(CZ) ~Muir

hornet cheap to feed, but looking at you requirements I would go 204, I have both as I have the same needs... get rid of the 22lr replace that with the 22 Hornet and get the 204 for the next step that will then complement you 243... 30-06 next :-)
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Hornet sounds perfect for what you want to be honest, as I said on the other thread you can reload it for the cost of HMR / WMR ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Hornet sounds perfect for what you want to be honest, as I said on the other thread you can reload it for the cost of HMR / WMR ammo.
    Sorry but it wont do the distance in the uk's weather
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

The hornet is a great round from 150 to 200 yards a mate got 1 he reloads 40 grn vmax its great for foxes i wouldn't bother with a 223 or anything as it will do nearly as the same as 243. I got myself a 243 , 223 and a 22lr im thinking about selling the 223 and getting a 22 hornet as i never use it now and the hornet is cheaper to reload aswell