Thread: Installing a Tv in an upstairs room

Installing a Tv in an upstairs room

Hi guys, I am about to buy a TV for an upstairs bedroom, the bedroom doesn't have an aerial socket and I don't have a digital outdoor roof aerial anyway as all current TVs are connected to a Sky dish.

My question is this, can I buy a decent quality free view TV and get a good quality picture from a digital indoor aerial? I am about to go with another multiroom subscription from Sky but the built in free view channels would have been fine... I am not really prepared to put up with a substandard picture quality though.

Any Ideas please would be welcomed, incidentally the Sky dish is on the outside wall of the bedroom I want to put the TV in, within about 8 feet of where I want to fit the TV if this makes a difference.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 12-04-2015 at 17:17.

We have one upstairs TV connected to an aerial in the loft by a cable running down the inside of the cavity wall between rooms. It works fine.
    It's down to signal strentgh so you're best to get the biggest aerial you can in case it's weak.
    Speak to Sky and see what deals they may do on an internal wireless system.
    Last edited by private fraser; 12-04-2015 at 17:40.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Blog Entries
    Is it not worth a Sky Multiroom subscription? They supply the box and come fit it up as part of the service.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

All sky boxes need to be individually wired to the dish via cable,there is no internal wireless system.

You could if you feel confident enough and have a spare port on you dish just buy a freesat box not free view and plug it into the dish.
    Freesat works of the same Astra satalite as Sky does,indoor ariels can be hit or miss depending on where you live.

I have sky tv in the bedroom and this is done through a little receiver which plugs into your tv and a sender which plugs into your sky box. Think it cost less than 30 and if you take your sky remote upstairs you can change channels.

Quote Originally Posted by ELMER FUDD View Post
    I have sky tv in the bedroom and this is done through a little receiver which plugs into your tv and a sender which plugs into your sky box. Think it cost less than 30 and if you take your sky remote upstairs you can change channels.
    This sounds interesting, could you give me a few details please, what is the name of the device and where did you get it from?

many thanks.

Many thanks for all the replies guys.

Had another look at my sky box and notice there is a coax cable which comes out of the back and this goes through the wall and up to the bedroom and into another little splitter which goes to a magic eye before going into the back of the t.v

All I ever saw was this magic eye and when I asked the wife where we had got it from she said it was from the t.v engineer when he fitted it along with the 3 others in the other bedrooms.

It looks like an easy enough job just going into the t.v out socket which has power

Most satellites are at least dual lnb. One line to watch the other generally used to record a different channel to the one you're watching.
    get a quad lnb and a freesat decoder and run a cable from the satellite to whichever room you want.
    there are some fancy ways around satellite signals for multiple rooms using a multi switch for example which can give up to 48 outputs but for most domestic situations a quad lnb should suffice.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks