View Poll Results: What do you do with your gralloch?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave all parts at the shot site

18 8.61%
  • Leave all parts close to the shot site but hidden from public view

163 77.99%
  • Bury all parts close to the shot site

13 6.22%
  • Remove all parts from the shot site for disposal elsewhere

15 7.18%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your gralloch?

What do you do with your gralloch?

This is a question for the woodland stalkers rather than those on the hill.

My understanding is that it is not illegal to leave the gralloch/pluck/legs/head at the shot site as wild deer are exempt from disposal regulations at the shot site. If you take them back to the larder to remove pluck/legs/head then you do come under the legislation and are required to dispose of the parts properly. I do know you are not meant to dispose of anything within 50 meters of a water course.

The public do tend to get a little disturbed when fido comes back with a Roe head in his mouth after ferreting around in the bushes, and some land owners get a little revved up when they stumble upon our leftovers.

Some stalkers I know always bag up the parts and dump them in a corner of the estate on the grounds that if you leave parts lying about it puts other deer off. Others bury the parts but I'm sure they are dug up my Charlie soon afterwards.

So what do you do?
    Last edited by NigelM; 12-04-2015 at 19:04.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    You need an option for "remove head and legs in the larder but bury lungs and green gralloch near shot site".
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    You need an option for "remove head and legs in the larder but bury lungs and green gralloch near shot site".
    We could have lots of options Willie, but I was trying to keep it simple. Please read "parts" as any parts you choose to leave behind.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    We could have lots of options Willie, but I was trying to keep it simple. Please read "parts" as any parts you choose to leave behind.
    My point was more that the green gralloch will biodegrade in short order, whereas head and legs will take considerable time.

Where stalking land is crossed by footpaths, walkers, dogs etc then there is less chance of Fido returning with something resembling a black magic ritual if the head and legs are removed in the larder and suitably disposed of. As it is, none of your options reflect this approach. But each to their own.

I personally take every thing away , having the facility of weekly knackerman collections (perk of being a poultry farm manager!) make life so much easier and since removing all waste i am seeing alot more deer , particularly where the red deer are concearned.

i pay 30 per wheelie bin collected and in my opinion money well spent , plus it keeps the farmers happy with no mess about the place.

What sealed it for me was when an irrate farmers wife phoned saying her belovid terrier had rolled in red deer gralloch and then dragged it back whrough the cat flap !

Not a happy woman i can tell you !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    My point was more that the green gralloch will biodegrade in short order, whereas head and legs will take considerable time.

Where stalking land is crossed by footpaths, walkers, dogs etc then there is less chance of Fido returning with something resembling a black magic ritual if the head and legs are removed in the larder and suitably disposed of. As it is, none of your options reflect this approach. But each to their own.
    Fair point Willie. Will try to add another option, just not sure how at the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    What sealed it for me was when an irrate farmers wife phoned saying her belovid terrier had rolled in red deer gralloch and then dragged it back whrough the cat flap !

Not a happy woman i can tell you !
    I know of a similar story - precious pooch ate the gralloch, returned home and proceeded to regurgitate said gralloch onto the antique Persian rug.

Not a recipe for a happy landowner-stalker relationship!

Mr fox usually has it away pretty quick

Sorry guys, have tried to edit poll to add another option for Willie but you don't seem to be able to add another option. Please use option 2 if you leave gralloch/pluck at site and take legs/head away with you.

There is no simple answer to that as I always used to gralloch and leave green for foxes etc but never remove legs and head until in the larder as that way you have less chance of contaminating meat .more recently as most of my retreivels have been using the quad I had a shovel and buried everything (badgers and foxes will dig them out )A farmers wife complained so now its best to use a supermarket bag and take everything back and drop it in the pit.