Thread: That Elusive Buck

That Elusive Buck

I have two permissions that are intersected by some other ground that I don't have permission on. I have been coming across the same Buck that is migrating from one to the other and I keep bumping the bugger and cannot get onto him.

I have been watching him for a few months, but once it was the 1st April I thought game on.... More fool me. Twice now I have bumped him. Walking onto the permission along a narrow field that has a dual carriageway to the left and a railway line to the right he popped out from the left in the treeline next to the dual carriageway, went across the field, jumped over the railway and away to the north. First round to him.

Next round tonight, went down the same field, there is a tunnel under the railway, went through the tunnel, into the trees on the other end of the tunnel and 40 yards to the right in the trees is standing the Buck, one look, a dash of 10 yards, jumps into grass field and away 250 yards into another treeline and away. Not a backward glance. Round two to the Buck..

Oh well there's always round three, it's a numbers game. I will get onto him eventually.

Off to another permission in the morning where I dropped three in the last few weeks as there's a couple of Bucks the farmer wants thinned out, better luck with them..

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
    I have two permissions that are intersected by some other ground that I don't have permission on. I have been coming across the same Buck that is migrating from one to the other and I keep bumping the bugger and cannot get onto him.

I have been watching him for a few months, but once it was the 1st April I thought game on.... More fool me. Twice now I have bumped him. Walking onto the permission along a narrow field that has a dual carriageway to the left and a railway line to the right he popped out from the left in the treeline next to the dual carriageway, went across the field, jumped over the railway and away to the north. First round to him.

Next round tonight, went down the same field, there is a tunnel under the railway, went through the tunnel, into the trees on the other end of the tunnel and 40 yards to the right in the trees is standing the Buck, one look, a dash of 10 yards, jumps into grass field and away 250 yards into another treeline and away. Not a backward glance. Round two to the Buck..

Oh well there's always round three, it's a numbers game. I will get onto him eventually.

Off to another permission in the morning where I dropped three in the last few weeks as there's a couple of Bucks the farmer wants thinned out, better luck with them..
    As you say, it's a numbers game. Put the hours him and the reward will be yours.

Sounds like the memory is going to be worth a cape.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Got onto the young buck this morning at one of my other permissions, not big and still in velvet, but munching in the farmers veg patch that he grows veg to sell in the farm shop so has to be taken off the ground. Now in the chiller

As we say he has to be lucky all the time, you only need to get lucky once!!

Try doing your stalk in an opposite direction may catch him off guard.

D

A mineral salt lick will get him attached to a certain spot.....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.