Ford Ranger

finnbear270

Mrs Finnbear fetched a Ford Ranger home last week, part of an evaluation set up at her work, Now I have spent a great deal of time in an L200 when Mike owned one, without taking the Ranger off road she was unable to give an opinion on it's pro's or con's, but she asked my opinion on the general side of things compared to the L200, the first thing that stuck out was the full sized leg room given to rear seat passengers, a complete opposite to the cramped conditions I had been in when in L200's, anyone have experience of a 14 plate Ranger off road?

I have a Ranger but unfortunately a 1978 vintage 4x4. Gets almost 10 miles per gallon....

SS

A bit - a day's driving in fairly messy conditions as part of a comparison test day, so a bit stage managed and not on standard rubber. I've spent more time in Amaroks, Ssangyongs and L200s plus LR station wagons and G-Wagens etc and thought the Ranger was sound and capable, plus had a sensible-sized cabin as you said.

To edit: this was a current spec model.

Can only go by my experiences with a 58 plate Ranger, they are good with just BF Goodridges on (AT' s). No reason to think the current model will be any different

I think there is more variation (poor performance) in modern 4x4's abilities off road caused by in the main the driver, followed by the rubber that's on them....

I have a 12 plate Ranger with ATs on. Nowhere near as good as a similarly shod Disc/Defender. A bit underwhelmed to be honest.

An old 'keeper told me long time ago that "ye dinna go to the hill wi' yer slippers laddie" that's why i hunt with a Defender...

An old 'keeper told me long time ago that "ye dinna go to the hill wi' yer slippers laddie" that's why i hunt with a Defender...

Like that !

Never seem to be able to walk past my Defender to get to Ranger if any mud is involved.... Put simply the Ranger has never towed the Defender out !

My 07 Ranger with BF Good ridge ATs has handled all the crap I've thrown at it - but only in 4wheel drive as in 2 wheel even damp grass will cause it to lose traction in an embarrassing manner. Light arse end !

I have a 12 plate Ranger with ATs on. Nowhere near as good as a similarly shod Disc/Defender. A bit underwhelmed to be honest.

Very, very few stalkers I know need the ability a properly shod Landrover with diff lock and low box provides. Majority are on grass fields, forest roads and farm tracks.

But I agree with you, in really difficult conditions I'd opt for a Landy every time having owned 3 plus numerous other 4x4's! :thumb:

We just got a year old Ranger for stalking , certainly nice and comfy but not tested it properly off road yet , the other stalking vehicle is a Defender with all the toys its great off road but a shambles to drive long distance on main roads
View attachment 55338

Last edited:
We just got a year old Ranger for stalking , certainly nice and comfy but not tested it properly off road yet , the other stalking vehicle is a Defender with all the toys its great off road but a shambles to drive long distance on main roads

View attachment 55338

don't know Colin I have the trekker leather seats in mine and been up to you in it a few times have had the Ford Ranger have a Toyota for work but still prefer to jump in the Landy to get around

yea some get like that used and abused I am all up and running so to speak Colin glad you had a good holiday need to put some time into work now I am fully back but will give you a call as soon as I can get away will be good to see you again mate

I have a 12 plate ranger bought last month after 9 years with a l200 ,, comfiest pick up I've been in and as mine was ex MOD it came with bfg mud terrain and it is better than the l200 of road by miles

Back