GMP and "Extra Checks"

Northwest

Heard this morning that it is now taking much longer at GMP for a FAC renewal or application as they are doing "much deeper" background checks and I have two clear examples of this to confirm it in my mind. (Won't be sharing those as it would certainly identify the individuals).
Anyone else heard anything? Just fear that we might head back to the "Bad old Days" of needing FOUR permissions before they would give you a rimmy.

Hello Northwest, I have heard of these extra checks at my local club however I am currently waiting now 7 weeks+ for a 1 for 1 variation not
asked for anything extreme like a 50 cal rifle or a 300 win mag for deer stalking & boar

I was told by another club member they had waited 5 weeks for their 1 for 1 and their referees they put down had been contacted

Surprised no one has put anything up yet havent seen anything or posts on other uk shooting sites.

Yep fellow club member said his referee's had been called up to check things out that cant remember exacts of what he said they asked

I spoke to my mate who's one of my referees he's not been contacted yet and my other friend hasnt.

You wouldnt need referees for a 1 4 1,but anythings possible with our lot, i do wish they would wake up and smell the coffee,!they are that used to doing it wrong they think its the norm,i have lost all faith in them totally,

although speaking with an rfd earlier cumbria's currently 3 months for variation wait apparently

I am quite surprised if that is true
Cumbria police are normally quick at variations all mine have being between 3-7 days Inc posting.
mind you not had to do one this year yet.

Bob

Well from all what I have heard they are changing the way they do things what that means for the future I dont know for those under gmp like me, but nearly 8 weeks good thing I have enough ammo to last

I hope they dont go the way of durham specifying actions on slots/calibers you put down or doctors medical form etc

yeah when the guy said yeah it was one for one for same rifle under warranty and they contacted both my referee's I was like why??

surely if you have cleared pnc or had your fac for number of years and havent been in trouble or been arrested etc whats the need in contacting your referee's on a 1f1?,

sure if your medical history changed eg vertigo or you've been on anti depressants or police come to your house for domestic could understand then.

Sounds like "Enthusiastic" for enthusiasm's sake. Trying to impress somebody methinks.
It's not funny though, why rock the boat? By and large the shooters that came under GMP were a pretty happy lot so why go out of your way to alienate them?

Its ok saying we need do more checks or put fees up or get an alarm etc,we have to knuckle under and conform to everything,but when you ask them something or enquire or send a slip in or whatever you get no response back at all, i phoned cheshire once to enquire about a perm,never again!,i am still awaiting either confirmation or any sort of response after sending/calling/emailing gmp,for going on four weeks,NADA ZILCH ZERO back,im not numb i know they have other things to do but it wouldnt take two minutes to give me the nod either way,

Always had excellent service from GMP, for nearly 20 years. Variations only use to take a week. But my son put a variation in the other week, took a lot longer than normal, but I did notice that the usual police signature that had been on the certificates for a good number of years, has changed. So don't no what's happened.

yes agree with you on that an du ru, from my experience best way to enquire about any land if your tickets closed on certain cal's is to phone up your feo/flo found flo's lot more helpful than the admin staff at times.

Always had excellent service from GMP, for nearly 20 years. Variations only use to take a week. But my son put a variation in the other week, took a lot longer than normal, but I did notice that the usual police signature that had been on the certificates for a good number of years, has changed. So don't no what's happened.

Same as mate ,

lets to hope nowt changes, GMP have always given a top notch , sensible approach service,

atb

kjf

from my understanding gmp must be going through every variation,renewal or grant with a magnifying glass and doing checks on each person at the same time
even if they have a fac already, then only then signed off by whoever it is must be building up a workload surely thats not an efficient way of working.

before like reggiegun said it worked fine 1 week for variations the only checks came at renewal or grant for referee's or questions probably raised if they found
your medical history had changed or you had been involved in a domestic/arrested.

surely if somethings not broken, works fine why change it? :confused:

Last edited:
Same as mate ,

lets to hope nowt changes, GMP have always given a top notch , sensible approach service,

atb

kjf
Could be something in it i sent the original to him! i hope hes ok i got on with him no problem,Its only a perm slip and map i just need confirmation they have received,then if not i can send another copy,

Last edited:
no they are contacting referee's it seems when one has put through a 1f1

I agree do additional checks if someones history has changed since being granted, medical or mental health or been arrested for something

but to do check ups when there has been no clear & confirmed intel via the police or public why do random checks?

Back