Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snap shot resulting in a miss

Snap shot resulting in a miss

Whilst in one of my high seats last night a young roe buck quartered across the ride to my left, the high seat is situated on a cross road, he wasn't hanging about and by the time I had identified him as a shooter he had become partially obscured by a hazel coppice- anyway he followed a deer trail through the hardwood plantation and gave a small window of opputunity when he stopped showing the top 3rd of his shoulder- he was about 120 yards and I decided to shoot- I was quite confident in the shot so gave it 5 mins and got down, two steps and I suddenly saw a deer at the top of the ride- it was getting dark quickly now and I couldn't quite see if it was a doe or buck but did think it was a doe- got to where I thought the business had happened and no deer, had a good search with the torch still no deer- went back this morn and no blood, no pins but some hurried prints in the path arcing round to where I saw the deer second time round which I was unable to sex- this deer when I saw it ,looked at me trying to make me out barked twice then legged it- very much alive- I missed! And I am sure this was the deer I shot at. I generally haven't missed many in fact 3 and I've been stalking for about 10 years ,My question is will roe be frightened out of a territory if you miss them with a shot and they associate it with humans?

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    No

K
    i agree.

also I would recommend giving UKSHA a call to come and check it out with a dog, you will get a much surer indication of whether you truly missed or not.....

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    i agree.

also I would recommend giving UKSHA a call to come and check it out with a dog, you will get a much surer indication of whether you truly missed or not.....

Would there be the same concern over a missed fox.....?

Cant speak for Roe as there are none on my ground, however I have shot Fallow on a ride and 30 seconds later a second one has stepped out of cover to meet the same fate....

Similar result with Muntjac....

In answer to the op's question, I would say no, however I have found if you keep chasing stuff around then they will move on.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

I can remember a client missing a buck from a highseat, we went back the following morning and shot it. So the answer to your question is no

A high shoulder shot will not leave much blood but at this time of year the signs should be clear a burst couch is the normal result. But if you went down and looked then went all the way back in the morning you really did think you hit it. A good dog was really the only answer with this situation.
    Do roe hang around, territorial bucks do the others might or might not be there.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 14-04-2015 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    he stopped showing the top 3rd of his shoulder- he was about 120 yards

I'm sorry, not wishing to judge what's right or not, but the description you have given does not sound like any kind of shot I would consider, and certainly not at last light without a dog. My concern wouldn't be 'have I scared the deer off' I would be looking at the way I was shooting personally.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I don't agree with you, and with the greatest respect you weren't there- usually I have found a high shoulder shot to be very affective- although not my normal aim point, but you have to adapt to the situation that arises, and if you need to shoot them you try to do so- my concern over whether the deer would be frightened off was because he has rubbed everything he could possibly get his antlers on and I need to sort him out- I mostly shoot fallow on a large arable farm and only shoot a few roe each year which is why I am seeking advice- one thing in life I have found is righteous bigotry is preached by those with short memories or not very many-stick to the thread

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    one thing in life I have found is righteous bigotry is preached by those with short memories or not very many-stick to the thread

Wow, steady on there on your high horse, I'm no bigot, but from the way you described the shot, the animal is obscured by trees and all you can see is the area of his shoulder, at last light, hardly what most was call ideal I would say.
    Sorry you can call me what you will, and I am prepared to admit to having made mistakes myself, I'm not holier than thou but the scenario described doesn't sound good and I would certainly be getting a good dog to have a look at the shot site.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink