Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding roe deer to improve trophy?

Feeding roe deer to improve trophy?

has anyone any info on using food to improve the trophies the local roe bucks can achieve?
    I know of one estate near here, where the owner uses special food imported from spain which is supposed to give good results within 2-3 years
    does anyone know where to get it?

Lovely idea buckaroo, as long as the buck doesn't jump the fence and get belted by the neighbour!

Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    has anyone any info on using food to improve the trophies the local roe bucks can achieve?
    I know of one estate near here, where the owner uses special food imported from spain which is supposed to give good results within 2-3 years
    does anyone know where to get it?
    If you look up the recipe for Paella and learn to cook, you can make it yourself!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Cheers Erik Ha-Ha
    Yes goathunter I realise that, but if you feed them they are less likely to jump the fence.

Anyone got any useful comments pls ?

Hi,
    I attended a talk on feeding deer at the SCI Convention, many years ago. The talk was given by a Feed company, so may be slanted to their products. Their arguments were; Feeding Maize will just make your deer fatter. Antler growth requires specific "amino acids" that reach the final stomach for absorbtion. This is difficult, as the fermentation in the first few stomachs destroys them. He claimed that his company had produced a coating for the amino acids that would survive the journey to the final stomach, and produce prodigious heads ! He also said that you didn't need high fences to retain Whitetails. Any young born where they Hopper feed deer, will remain close to the feeder for their whole life ! He was a good Salesman.
    Marcher.

I would look at some kind of mineral block, if your deer are normally in good condition but are lacking in the head gear dept, they may require some extra minerals or salts that are lacking localy

Try them with a sheep bloc to see if they are using it before moving to some of the high end made for deer stuff.

Just my 2p worth.

Andy7mm
    "Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

A farm supplies place like this...

Coxydene | Farmfeeds

...tends to have reasonably priced licks.
    Look for ones that are marked "deer friendly".
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I think it's more down to genetics personally. The Roe in East Anglia have endless supplies of decent food, but continue to throw fairly poor heads. This is because they are the result of a reintroduction of Germanic strain deer. I'm sure food does play a small part in antler growth, but I doubt it is something you could influence. I would also view it as very poor deer management where deer are only valued for what is on their heads? The best way to make the heads bigger is to stop shooting the best bucks! (and the best does!). Trophy hunting is the opposite of selective breeding as it promotes the breeding of poorer animals as opposed to natural selection of the best of species!
    Hopefully you'll find those comments useful.
    MS

I would agree with MS. Good Roe heads are down to 90% genetics in my opinion, although good habitat and food can play a part. One only has to look at the larger quality heads in the UK, including the record. All taken along the southern area of England, where the habitat is good and alkaline soil encouraging good antler growth. But more to the point the genetics are there and providing you manage the Bucks well, you will continue to get good heads.

I have used the salt paste, without I would add much of a result. Again with Roe Bucks you may get a large long head on a buck, but hardly any weight to it, on the other hand you can get short thick heads with heavy bases which carry a medal easily.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.