View Poll Results: Which new .243 for Stig?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remington 700 Stainless fluted barrel 795

24 32.43%
  • Browning (not sure model) black synthetic - but about 750

9 12.16%
  • Tikka T3 Blued/wooden - 785

23 31.08%
  • Howa Lightning 1500 (incl. Wildcat mod) 750

18 24.32%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which option?

Which option?

I know these questions come up time and again. I've searched the threads and read the advice, but still need a final prod in the right direction. I've cashed in my trusty CZ550 (.243) and am getting a new rifle that is screwcut for a mod. Realistically I have no money, in reality I will clobber together whatever cash I can to get the right option. My options are:

Remington 700 Stainless fluted barrel - 795
    Browning (not sure model) black synthetic - but about 750
    Tikka T3 Blued/wooden - 785
    Howa Lightning 1500 (incl. Wildcat mod) - 750

I'm tempted by the Howa... but... I just don't know if the green rubbery stock is for me... With the other options I'm going to have the extra cost of mounts and a mod at I'm guessing 300 ish.

Tbh Mate I'd look at the Tikka t3 Lite Stainless. It seems to be the most consistantlly good out of the box stalking rifle.

Mannlicher are good too

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Stig, have you looked on guntrader? There is a new X Bolt on there for 550! Granted it is in Ayrshire, but a courier is not that expensive. There is also a lovely second hand tikka;
    Tikka .243 M55 (Luxe) Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H), 595 @ US$906/€672
    Licence: Firearm, Barrel: 23", Stock: 14"
    Origin: Other
    Serial #: 550-201143

This would leave you with more money for a good scope/rings/mod etc.

If I had to choose one of the guns from your list (and i don't want to, I want the second hand Luxe), it would have to be the Tikka. Proven accuracy, adjustable trigger and a good stock.

The Remingtons can suffer with poor triggers, but you can upgrade them and custom riflesmiths use the actions they are so good. Still if I am buying new, i want the trigger to work, really well, straight out of the box!

The Howa's seem to have a love hate following, which makes me wary.

The X Bolt had a reasonable review, but it seemed a bit luke warm to me. I think there may be one or two folks on this site who have them. Have you done a search?

I hope you find what you want!

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Mannlicher are good too
    old one yes, but new cheap ones from the sportsman hummm, I am not surw I would agree with that.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    old one yes, but new cheap ones from the sportsman hummm, I am not surw I would agree with that.

ATB

Tahr
    Thar
    you ever shot one?

Matt

Have the Howa in .243 but with the pepperwood thumbhole stock (didnt fancy the hogue stock either). Love it

There is so much choice that you do have a problem !

My A Bolt Browning has been a pleasure to use for 10 years and a new one should be less than 700 for total reliability and accuracy.

Brianm

Most of then will have better triggers than remington,remington are very accurate rifle but really can do with an aftermarket trigger

I changed my rifle last year from a very good, but old Parker Hale Safari, 308 to a T3 lite stainless 308,
    should have done it years before as the new one dose everything it says on the box.
    I have not had any problems with the stock, mine is very firm, with a good space under the barrel.
    I think most rifles are good these days you just have to shoot them lots to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post

ATB

Tahr

Care to expand on that one bud? I have 3 Pro-hunters sitting in the cabinet, all shoot sub 1". Only one has any custom bits, the other two are as they came. So please enlighten me.

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore