Which option?

Which new .243 for Stig?

• Total voters

stig

I know these questions come up time and again. I've searched the threads and read the advice, but still need a final prod in the right direction. I've cashed in my trusty CZ550 (.243) and am getting a new rifle that is screwcut for a mod. Realistically I have no money, in reality I will clobber together whatever cash I can to get the right option. My options are:

Remington 700 Stainless fluted barrel - £795
Browning (not sure model) black synthetic - but about £750
Tikka T3 Blued/wooden - £785
Howa Lightning 1500 (incl. Wildcat mod) - £750

I'm tempted by the Howa... but... I just don't know if the green rubbery stock is for me... With the other options I'm going to have the extra cost of mounts and a mod at I'm guessing £300 ish.

Tbh Mate I'd look at the Tikka t3 Lite Stainless. It seems to be the most consistantlly good out of the box stalking rifle.

Mannlicher are good too ;)

Sam

Stig, have you looked on guntrader? There is a new X Bolt on there for £550! Granted it is in Ayrshire, but a courier is not that expensive. There is also a lovely second hand tikka;
Tikka .243 M55 (Luxe) Bolt Action second hand Rifle (R/H), £595 @ US$906/€672
Licence: Firearm, Barrel: 23", Stock: 14"
Origin: Other
Serial #: 550-201143

This would leave you with more money for a good scope/rings/mod etc.

If I had to choose one of the guns from your list (and i don't want to, I want the second hand Luxe), it would have to be the Tikka. Proven accuracy, adjustable trigger and a good stock.

The Remingtons can suffer with poor triggers, but you can upgrade them and custom riflesmiths use the actions they are so good. Still if I am buying new, i want the trigger to work, really well, straight out of the box!

The Howa's seem to have a love hate following, which makes me wary.

The X Bolt had a reasonable review, but it seemed a bit luke warm to me. I think there may be one or two folks on this site who have them. Have you done a search?

I hope you find what you want!

Atb, ft

There is so much choice that you do have a problem !

My A Bolt Browning has been a pleasure to use for 10 years and a new one should be less than £700 for total reliability and accuracy.

Brianm

Most of then will have better triggers than remington,remington are very accurate rifle but really can do with an aftermarket trigger

I changed my rifle last year from a very good, but old Parker Hale Safari, 308 to a T3 lite stainless 308,
should have done it years before as the new one dose everything it says on the box.
I have not had any problems with the stock, mine is very firm, with a good space under the barrel.
I think most rifles are good these days you just have to shoot them lots to get used to it.

old one yes, but new cheap ones from the sportsman hummm, I am not surw I would agree with that.

ATB

Tahr

:confused:

Care to expand on that one bud? I have 3 Pro-hunters sitting in the cabinet, all shoot sub 1". Only one has any custom bits, the other two are as they came. So please enlighten me.

Sam

Initially the forend flex when used with with mod and bipod ,it was a well documented fault .

Initially the forend flex when used with with mod and bipod ,it was a well documented fault .

It might be true. Its not happened to me so I dont know, niether has it happened to any of my Steyr toting mates. So Im at a loss really, though there is some flex in the forestock (as IMO with most plastic stocked guns) so I see how it could happen. All my Mannlichers have Mods and bi-pods on at some point, and most oof the time with my .243.

atb
Sam

Last edited:
tikka tikka every time
im shooting with two guys at the moment both using tikka t3 lites in 243 with great results
also both using swaro 8x56 scopes on top as ive said on here before awesome set up
regards pete .

It might be true. Its not happened to me so I dont know, niether has it happened to any of my Steyr toting mates. So Im at a loss really, though there is some flex in the forestock (as IMO with most plastic stocked guns) so I see how it could happen. All my Mannlichers have Mods and bi-pods on at some point, and most oof the time with my .243.

atb
Sam

Sam, it's true I'm afraid. The Mark 1 was notorious for it. Steve Bowers had all the Forest of Dean Forester's Steyrs in to stiffen all the front end of the stocks. There were no end returned to Sportsman Gun Centre (the importers) and that is why they came out with the mk2 version with the stiffened front end. There was loads on the net/web at the time. It all came about at the time i was wondering what to buy, and one of the main reasons i ended up with a Sako. Not a decision I regret.

ft

i shoot a tikka t3 lite synthetic blue in 6,5x55 , and has been nothing but faithful and a consistantly accurate sub inch with federal 140gn and 14ogn home loads .

my mate has just this week taken delivery of a styer pro mountain hunter with warne rings and bases and sound mod for 1075.00 now you cant knock that for price !

cheers lee

Ahh I see, I probably havent come across it as we are on mark twos'! Having made the move from a Swiss Arms ( :cuckoo:)to Prohunters. I am a fan of sorts. I like them because of their accuracy and reliability. I dislike the lack of custom parts.

atb

Sam

I see my comments ref:- the Manlichers has rattle a few owners cages, well sorry guys I can only speak as I find, Stig is looking at spending a not insignificant amount of money, so with that in mind you will have to excuse me upsetting your sensitivities, Obviously you are happy with yours but………….

I have friends that between them have had 5 off the things; two of them got rid and brought Sakos, one a Tikka. One other friend keeps his but is not entity happy with it, but Dave is too lazy/tight to change it. He has the wood/blue Classic model, with factory ammo it struggled to shoot 11/2” groups, with the help of me and another friend of mine who is also a very experienced reloader we did get some reloads together that would hold 1” groups.

The 5 guy is very happy with his Ultra light to be fair, in fact he loves it,:love: but one out of 5 in my experience is not good enough to recommend the rifle to somebody else.

Sam you must have had your head in the sand not to have heard about the flexible forends, it was well covered on a number of the internet forums. Not all sythertic stocked forends are so flexible that you can’t shoot them of a bipod. You swapped a SHR for a Manlicker.:eek::confused:

Of the other rifles mentioned I have owned 3 of them, my vote would go for a Browning or a older 595/695 Tikka, that said you don’t see many unhappy T3 or Howa owners, If I was Stig I would look for a S/H Sako 75 he should just about find one for the money he is talking.

ATB

Tahr

Sam you must have had your head in the sand not to have heard about the flexible forends, it was well covered on a number of the internet forums. Not all sythertic stocked forends are so flexible that you can’t shoot them of a bipod. You swapped a SHR for a Manlicker.:eek::confused:

Thar, Dont worry, no cages rattled here and I agree, you should give your experiances on these things.

I never thought about Mannlichers till I got mine. I hasten to add it wasnt me who bought it (being 14 at the time) So the stock issue probably passed me by. But starting again? Tikka T3 6.5x55.

And I didnt like the Swiss Arms at all, just didnt like it at all. Niether did my Dad, who at the time funded such enterprises, and he wanted Steyr, so Steyr I ended up with!

atb

Sam

Back